Newbie seeking help.
Jan 23, 2002 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DigiToast

New Head-Fier
Hi, I just recently ventured into the headphone world and was hoping some of my questions might be answered. A local store had a giant close-out sale and I managed to pick up some AKG K240DF headphones for around $95. Anyways, I brought my new toy home and learned about the 600ohm impedance on the headphones.

My first question is what's the best amp that I should get to match these headphones? I'm no good at any of the DIY stuff so I'm pretty much looking for something premade and ready to buy. (I'm all into computer software/science, but circuites and EE just completely eludes me.) My price range is preferably for something less than $250, and what I had in mind was the Rega EAR since it's the only product where it says that 600ohm headphones will work well. Again, I'm completely new to this all, so if something like the Creek OBH11 (which says up to 300ohm) would work well, please let me know.

My second question is if I were to buy an amp, what kind of a setup will I need? I keep on hearing about this preamp stuff but I'm completely lost on what I need to be doing. My current idea is just to do computer->audigy ex box->amp->headphones.

Please let me know what you all think. I'm open to any kind of help and suggestions. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back