newbie seeking advice
Jan 15, 2008 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jeremy6044

100+ Head-Fier
i'm trying to decide between headphones and i've heard great things on these forums about the k701, grado 225, beyer dt770, senn 595...i'm throwing these names out because i want to spend less than $250 for the headphones. i haven't really auditioned any, but i don't really have the chance to, i don't think.

i'm looking for something musical and warm sounding, but not at the expense of balance and detail. (i.e.. i don't want anything too harsh or analytical.)

oh, and if you can recommend anything as highly as cans at this price level but which are much cheaper, i would appreciate that, too, because then i can spend more on a dac/amp combo that i imagine i need for my just-getting-started setup. i don't know which object i should be spending more on, but maybe you can tell me that, as well.

thanks!

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 18
I was debating between the SR225 and HD595 and I picked the SR225 because I really like that aggressive sound signature that Grado has. I tried the DT770/80 and I really wasn't impressed. They sounded so muddy and like the mids and treble were missing. Maybe they needed to be burned in, but I thought they sounded pretty bad.

I have a pair of SR225 and I love them. They have a great warm bass and nice detailed treble. They don't isolate at all, though, so they are best for home use.

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 18
well, i don't like harsh and overwhelming treble, so maybe the grado sound wouldn't be good for me.

i would like isolation, and the ability to use these in public and travel with them, but honestly, i would forgo all that for a much better sounding can. i recently went to a concert hall with amazing acoustics and it's such a difference...i want to hear sound that realistic and close at home. that feeling that they're playing right there and not way far away. i guess i want an upfront sound but also warm. does that exist?

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 18
I just got my first cans for christmas: the Audio Technica AD700. I absolutely love them. I am still quite a noob myself but I've had a lot of fun with these, and the better version (the AD900) are supposed to be even better and come in around $220 before shipping.

I've never heard those but I do recommend the AD700s - one beginner to another!

Good luck in your purchase!

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 18
As a junior member who only got his first set of cans in the December of 2006, I'd have to say that the DT770s are my preferred cans for starting off, especially if you're a fan of rock. They're built tough and sound wonderful, and even after getting DT990s and ATH-W5000s, I still love them.

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy6044 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, i don't like harsh and overwhelming treble, so maybe the grado sound wouldn't be good for me.

Despite some of the things you have read, the Grado (especially SR225) hardly has harsh and overwhelming treble.

But, since you want isolation, Grados will not be for you.

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

i would like isolation, and the ability to use these in public and travel with them, but honestly, i would forgo all that for a much better sounding can. i recently went to a concert hall with amazing acoustics and it's such a difference...i want to hear sound that realistic and close at home. that feeling that they're playing right there and not way far away. i guess i want an upfront sound but also warm. does that exist?

Try a D2000 (although the budget might run tight). Comfortable, not harsh, pretty forward midrange and plenty of bass. They definitely can sound vivid and nice. Very comfortable.

They are big though.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

how about the dt880's or k601 or k501? do any of those have a warm, up front sound?

HD595 sounds closer to that than all of the above.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 18
oh, boy...i'm confused. in this thread alone i've read that the grados are very aggressive and also that they're not harsh. also that the dt770's are muddy and not good, but also that they're good.

so right now, i'm getting positive reviews for the hd595, ad700, and d2000. should i narrow it down to those? any more thoughts?

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 18
Not familar with audio technica. hd595 and d2000 sound like great choices, for other cans such as k701, it is hard to get them display their full potential without spending couple hundreds dollars more on amp.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #13 of 18
HD595 isn't that warm or up-front, but it has great details.

AT700 sounds like something you said you were looking for. Grados too.

Haven't heard the others.

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guarneri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD595 isn't that warm or up-front, but it has great details.

My 595's make me feel like I'm the lead singer. They're pretty upfront. I agree that they aren't that warm though.

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 18
maybe i should rephrase myself. warm kind of makes it seem like i want something that muffles the sound. that's not what i want. i just don't want that harsh treble fatiguing sound that i don't like in my ety's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back