Newbie saying hello!
Nov 3, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Hello all, I found this site through a google search - it looks like I just missed a great swap meet at Grado Labs - too bad, I live in the city too. On father's day (my first as a father, my boy is 4 months old) I was surprised by a 40 gig Ipod - what a great upgrade from my Nomad Jukebox! My 10 dollar sony wraparound blue buds weren't cutting it (no bass) and the new ipod buds were great for a while - but it seems a bit muddy. I read about Grados in a mag, and eventually I came here. After trolling here for a few days, I decided to get the Alessandro MS-1, and while I'm waiting I read a bit more and decided to go get that 7 dollar project case from Office Max and the 3 dollar rat shack flats - yep I VWAP modded them too. In fact, I bought rat shack mini flats for my ipod buds and vwapped them too - the buds sound the same tho to my untrained ear, oh well.

has anyone compared the modded rat shack flats to the stock comfies (i'm assuming they are coming with the ms-1s)? if not, i'll let you know if i hear any difference once my cans come
smily_headphones1.gif
- but as you might have figured out, i'm not much of an audiophile yet. so anyhow that's the background, and i look forward to posting and reading more here - i love my tunes!

Edit - oh yes, i also have a microphone pre-amp called a Tube MP that I use for my guitar, but i guess i could use it to listen to music, which I haven't tried yet. What do you think, will the Tube MP really make a difference from my ipod driving the ms-1?

Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet! good choice on the MS-1, I heard from Lisa that it's the best can under $100, but you'll find that out for yourself! BTW you won't be able to use that Tube MP since it's mono, like a guitar output is - I suggest you get a mono to stereo adapter, but it will still be mono in both channels. Better yet sell it and look into something like a Cmoy for starters! Once you do, enjoy, run far far away from Head-fi, and don't look back!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Once you do, enjoy, run far far away from Head-fi, and don't look back!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmmm, that was 10,000?
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet! good choice on the MS-1, I heard from Lisa that it's the best can under $100, but you'll find that out for yourself! BTW you won't be able to use that Tube MP since it's mono, like a guitar output is - I suggest you get a mono to stereo adapter, but it will still be mono in both channels. Better yet sell it and look into something like a Cmoy for starters! Once you do, enjoy, run far far away from Head-fi, and don't look back!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hahahaha! Awesome! Congratulations on the milestone! Can't believe you were once a newbie too.
smily_headphones1.gif

* hope I don't end up with a rig like Jahn's in just a year-and-a-half after joining head-fi *

Nov 3, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Hello all, I found this site through a google search - it looks like I just missed a great swap meet at Grado Labs - too bad

From such innocent beginnings to 10K posts! Congrats Jahn, welcome again to Head-Fi and really sorry about your wallet.
tongue.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #53 of 72
hahaha...that was great. kinda like the seinfeld goodbye episode..so that was where it all began and then you suckered me into this.,,,

Nov 3, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #55 of 72
Jahn, ive been here a year, and only manage to post around 200ish posts. You are a lean mean posting machine!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #56 of 72
[size=large]Jahn's New Cycle! Have Some Hayabusa!
icon10.gif
{wink-wink}
...racin' to the next 10K...
[/size]

NewCycle_HaveSomeHayabusa.jpg

Nov 3, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #57 of 72
10,000 posts in a little over a year.

I'd get help if I were you
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #58 of 72
Jahn, we all can only aspire to be like you. Congrats on the 10,000, and good job doing it in true Jahn fashion, always there to help a newbie!
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #59 of 72
I think this thread should be stickied, as a warning to all newbies:

Quote:

By choosing to continue on this forum, you are confirming that you realize this can happen to you. We're serious when we say we're sorry about your wallet.

Jahn (July 2004): "I wonder how much better the Alessandro [MS-1] will be over my Ipod buds..."
Gear: ipod 40gb -> ipod earbuds

Jahn (November 2005):
Gear: Team "Curse You, Head-Fi!"
Home Rig: Lan-modded E-MU 0404 => Glass Optical Digital Out => Lan-modded Lite DAC-AH => Headphile Blacksilver ICs => Melos SHA-Gold "The Pink Russian" Reference Pre-Amp/Headphone Amp w/6N1P-EV tubes => PRE-AMP TO: Audioquest Diamondback ICs => STAX SRM-1/MKII => STAX Lambda Pro Earspeakers or HEADPHONE AMP TO: Headphile BlackSilver-recabled Grado HP-2 w/DT770 Headband & Headphile Zeta Port C-Pads ("Darth Grado") or Headphile BlackSilver-recabled & impedance-tweaked DT770/600 Ohm "Darth Beyers" => SR325...as endcaps on my Headphile stand!

Portable Rig: 3G 40gig Ipod => TURBODock Line-out => MisterX Mini-to-Mini Cable => Headsave Go-Vibe V3 w/AD8066 opamp => Grado 1/8 to 1/4 Adapter => Grado SR325i

Nov 3, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Jahn:

You should also be acquainted with the bizarre Head-Fi phenomenon of "teams". These are "teams" for different headphones, amps, attitudes, etc (usually for headphones and attitudes though).

So if you're very into Sony MDR-CD3000 (better known as CD3Ks) headphones, for example, you'll put "Team CD3K" in your signature and despise all others who are not in your team. Or maybe you won't, but the others will despise you.

Whenever your team's headphones are discussed, you jump in to give your unreserved support for them, ignoring all logic or any valid counterarguments. A very prominent member of the CD3K Liberation Front (an even fancier name for a team, haha) is Sovkiller. He fits this description very well
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

If you don't belong to the team, you will bash the headphones whenever you have a chance, and try to convince people that any other can sounds better and that any praise for it is just "hype". A good example of this is Geek. He really hates the CD3Ks.

Last, but not least, I think *this* post would qualify as a troll
biggrin.gif

Surely, I have ignited the wrath of both Sovkiller and Geek, which seems like a contradiction given the whole team paradigm, hehe...

But then again, *this* is a troll.

Oh, and finish your messages with the magical words IME (in my experience), IMO (in my opinion), YMMV (your mileage may vary), etc. This will (sometimes) protect you from vile replies.
biggrin.gif

Oh, and fill your message with these grins
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
every once in a while to show that you're not really meaning anything of what you say. (actually, you secretly do, but it's yet another way of covering your ass, ha!)

This post is fit for appending to FAQ, section General Forum Usage. IMO and YMMV, of course
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back