Newbie required Guru's suggestion for DAC
May 6, 2014 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

marc-az

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Just upgraded my amp and found that my existing DAC unable to give enough power to it.

My existing setup: Macbook Air -> Fiio E17 + E09K -> HD650

New setup: Macbook Air -> (required help to propose DAC) -> Burson Soloist -> HD650

Budget US$ 300 ~ 1000.

Look forward for your help! Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Marc

Note: Moderator, i'm not sure if this is the correct place to post for help.
If its against the rules, feel free to delete this thread.

May 7, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 8
  Hi,

Just upgraded my amp and found that my existing DAC unable to give enough power to it.

My existing setup: Macbook Air -> Fiio E17 + E09K -> HD650

New setup: Macbook Air -> (required help to propose DAC) -> Burson Soloist -> HD650

Budget US$ 300 ~ 1000.

Look forward for your help! Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Marc

Ok, so you are saying your Burson Soloist is not driving your HD650 powerful enough? The DAC doesn't give much power to the amp, it's the amps job to amplify the line out from the DAC. You can either continue to use your E17 (with the additional L7 attachment) as  a DAC only and feed that signal into the Burson without double amping (MBA via USB to E17/L7 -> 3.5mm out of L7 to RCA into Burson).

Cheers,
K

May 7, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi Koolpep,

Thanks for your reply.
Didnt know that there's a L7.
Will try to get that and test it later if it sounds better. :)
i also concern that double amping - it went to E09K line out to Soloist. 
(The sound is not as good if compare what i heard during my audition)

I've also checked with Burson, its seems that i need to max volume for my DAC.
will try again later with their suggestion.

Thanks,
Marc

May 7, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 8
  Hi Koolpep,

Thanks for your reply.
Didnt know that there's a L7.
Will try to get that and test it later if it sounds better. :)
i also concern that double amping - it went to E09K line out to Soloist. 
(The sound is not as good if compare what i heard during my audition)

I've also checked with Burson, its seems that i need to max volume for my DAC.
will try again later with their suggestion.

It's gone from the Fiio website but it's still available here:
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Line-Out-Dock-Cable/dp/B004QVNS0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399448356&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+l7

However, the line out of the E09K should theoretically be the same if I am not mistaken. I think there is a setting to disable the volume control from the E17 while docked (for line out) which should be good as then the line out reverts to the constant high volume it should contain for the amp.

Cheers,
K

May 7, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 8

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Line-Out-Dock-Cable/dp/B004QVNS0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399448356&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+l7

However, the line out of the E09K should theoretically be the same if I am not mistaken. I think there is a setting to disable the volume control from the E17 while docked (for line out) which should be good as then the line out reverts to the constant high volume it should contain for the amp.

Cheers,
K

Noted, when i dock my E17 to E09K with the bypass Lo, the volume control at Fiio will be disable and control by Soloist.
I'm worry E09K line out , works as pre-amp function. (double amping) happening.

I will try later E17 (Max volume) direct to Soloist again.

May 7, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 8

Cheers,
K

Thanks.

i worry about the double amping. E09K line out works as pre-amp function if i'm not wrong.

Will try to use E17 (max volume) direct to Soloist again.

May 7, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 8

Thanks.

i worry about the double amping. E09K line out works as pre-amp function if i'm not wrong.

Will try to use E17 (max volume) direct to Soloist again.

Line-out should not be amped. E17 will always output amped signal, you have to either dock it to E09K or use L7 to get a un-amped signal. But since the Fiio might internally use 24 bits, it can modify the volume of the signal even without amping it before outputting it into the line out. But I am no expert in that. Maybe someone else can assist...

May 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #8 of 8

Line-out should not be amped. E17 will always output amped signal, you have to either dock it to E09K or use L7 to get a un-amped signal. But since the Fiio might internally use 24 bits, it can modify the volume of the signal even without amping it before outputting it into the line out. But I am no expert in that. Maybe someone else can assist...

Just removed the E09K.

Using only E17 to Soloist. The sound much better! :)

Thanks for your guidance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back