Newbie Receiver Info for experienced Head-fier
May 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ChicagoNB

500+ Head-Fier
PLEASE don't flame me for the dumb questions to follow.  LOL  I'm more well versed in the portable world than I am the home audio world.  So here's what I am looking for - a new receiver for my house.  Here is the equipment I have to hook up to the receiver:

SPEAKERS
Pair of Orb satellite speakers
Pair of Boston Accoustics bookshelf speakers
Pair of brand new Warfdale bookshelf speakers
Subwoofer
DEVICES
Blu-Ray/DVD player
TIVO
iPod for both music and video playback.

What features should I be looking for in a receiver that can run all of the above adequately.  I am not looking to turn my place into a concert hall so mega watt output isn't that big of an issue.  I would like it to put out some decent sound for watching movies mostly.  My question is this - if I get a receiver that has 3-4 HDMI inputs and a single output, do I run my blu-ray player and tivo into the receiver via HDMI and then the output HDMI to my television?  Does the receiver pass the video signal thru to the tv while processing the audio at the same time or is it still the old fashion way where you plug you TIVO and Blu-Ray player to the tv and to the receiver?

Ideally, I'd like a receiver in the <$400 range.  I"m not so concerned with wifi networking or the like but I'm not opposed to it either.  PLUS, I am not opposed to purchasing a used one from someone on here if it matches up to what I need.  I know us head-fiers are always looking to upgrade!!!  So if someone has what I'm looking for and has an itch for an upgrade, shoot me a PM and let's talk.  Otherwise, I really really look forward to a few suggestions and help from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

May 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 2
Yes, you can plug your devices into the HDMI inputs on the receiver. It will then process the audio and pass the video onto the TV. As far as how much output, don't fret too much about wattage. You have to double the wattage to get 3db more volume output, and it's 10db more output for a double perceived change in listening volume. For features, room correction is good with a measuring mic (most receivers come with that) because it will automagically smooth the speaker frequency response for the listening position. I generally recommend Denons in your budget range because all but the bottom model come with Audyssey MultEQ which EQs the speakers AND the sub; other room correction software in your budget range will not EQ the sub.

If you want good deals on receivers, the 2013 Denons will be going on sale over the next few months because the new models are in. Also, you can buy a factory refurbished/factory warrantied one from http://accessories4less.com/ for a good price.

However, you have three different pairs of speakers. Most receivers are either setup for 5.1/7.1 audio, and then might have the option to hook up a separate set of speakers with an A/B speaker switch. If you want good sound for movies, you'll need a matching center channel to go with one of those pairs of speakers. You front soundstage (front three) should generally timbre match, and the way to do that is to either (a) buying the matching center channel designed by the manufacturer or (b) use another of the exact same speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back