Newbie Questions?
Jul 29, 2006 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Krug995

New Head-Fier
Just beginning to become interested in higher quality sound and am looking to make my first over $20 headphone purchase (I currently have a pair of Sony MDR V250's. I'm in recovery). I was hoping to get some questions answered as these forums have been very helpful in educating myself about headphones in general. Hope this is the right place to ask.
So without further ado.

After perusing Headroom and Amazon I think I narrowed my selection down to two choices, both Sennheiser: the 280 and the 555. I would've tried out some Grado's but the persistent rumours of uncomfortableness scared me off. Also the circumaural design is attractive to me.

I plan to use these for all round music listening--I don't mind bringing bulky headphones around so having them be able to stand up to travel would be a plus.

My main questions however:

1.) I listen to mostly indie rock which is usually not the best recorded stuff in the world. Will the performance boost of the 555's be negated by the recording quality of the music?

2.) How much of a difference exactly exists between the two? I've heard both praised for their sound quality. Obviously the 555's open design will deliver better overall sound but is it worth the leakage and lack of isolation?

3.) Exactly how much does the open design change where I can listen to the headphones in regards to sound leak and isolation? Will it limit me to solitary listening only?

4.) When I was looking, Sennheiser was generally described as more laidback and lacking that punch that Grado's have, especially for rock and the like. Are there any circumaural, comfortable headphones in this price range that I'm missing that have that punch without booming bass?

I realize these questions are rather broad and subjective, but I'm hoping to get at least a general feel for these things. Any input is welcome. Thank you so much in advance--I need all the help I can get.

Jul 29, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 2
First of all, I'd stay away from the overpriced and bad sounding 555. It is very overhyped by you folks in the US IMO. The HD485 is much cheaper and much better.

Take the 485 if you want a good allrounder. Take the HD280 if you want more bass and isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back