Newbie questions,please help
Mar 8, 2011 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shingo43

New Head-Fier
Hi,all

I just bought a used set of denon d2000 headphone(waiting for shipping), and I am gonna connect it to my ASUS Xonar Essence STX, I listen to flac pop and jazz. I have some questions.

1.Eventually I am gonna buy an headphone amp, based on the specs the d2000 has impedance of only 25 ohms. So in that case will it be hard to choose an amp? I know there is probably no such an amp that fits for all, but I rather but a intermediate level amp to start(500-700 range used), and I may buy a hd650 later this year, so in this case what amp do you recommend to me?
It is so confused to newbies that there are so many brands of amps, and each brand has tons of models. I think newbies will be really happy if there is a sticky page that shows the most popular headphone amps, and list there pro and cons, including the best paired headphones.

2.since the sound card I have is not bad, so does that mean I don't need a dac? or an amp/dac combo will be way better than the one on the sound card? or should I just buy an amp without dac?

thanks

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 4
1 - Denons and HA-160 amp does sound good, personally i loved that match. Engaging and musical...detailed. If you also plan to upgrade to the 650's on the future, you'll have a killer setup paired with that amp. (the one i have on my sig)

2- IMHO the dac on the Xonar essence is pretty good, i dont think its necessary to buy a separate dac. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
nice, I'll look into it, nice review too.
thank you

Thanks!
U welcome...let us know if you have more questions. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back