Newbie questions Audiophiles on new amp selection!
May 3, 2004 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Rink111

Head-Fier
Hello everyone, Im a head-fi newbie, but hopefully you all might able to lend me a hand. Right now I'm using a decent meta42 the my dad, an electronics engineer, and I built. Ha, coulnd'nt have done it without him. Anyway, im using my Sennheiser HD600's with a good home cd player which runs to the meta42, obvioiusly. Im in the market for a new headphone amp. I only need one headphone jack, 2RCA connects, and nothing fancy to screw up the sound like bad crossfeeds or superbass, crap like that, but I would like an amp that brings some "in your face" vibrance and attack to my HD600's. Don't get me wrong, I love the way they sound, but what amps would you audiophi's suggest for me in the oh... $200-400 range. Thank you for any input you may give me. Happy listening!

May 4, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rink111
but what amps would you audiophi's suggest for me in the oh... $200-400 range. Thank you for any input you may give me. Happy listening!

HeadAmp Gilmore Lite (or for some more cash) V2.

Kevin Gilmore's amp designs are my first choice. They sound wonderful.

- Chris

May 4, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 15
There's your answer
http://www.headamp.com/lite.shtml
icon10.gif

May 4, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 15
Rink, I would not expect a different sound signature with an amplifier upgrade because what you already have is a pretty good design. Perhaps you will get a little more refinement and transparency, but the differences will not be dramatic. If I had a couple of hundred dollars to spend and wanted a more forward/less laid back sound, I would keep the amp and look at a different headphone - perhaps a higher end Grado.

May 4, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 15
Looks like a very nice amp. I got an amazingly, and wow I mean super fast reply from them saying that a new version will be out in about 3-4 weeks and I could preorder it. Ill have to keep that in mind... Shesh the person must have been in outlook express with a prewritten answer. Haha Thanks! I'm still open to other suggestions tho, I'm sure you all don't agree, if you did this would be one boring forum!

May 4, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 15
The only problem with that is I really love my HD's I listen to alot of classical as well as blues, old cuban.. buena vista social club type stuff, and soft rock like tom petty. The HD's seem really nice for this laid back kind of stuff, I'm really just looking for a little more umf to them when I listen to harder rock. Not to mention, I have worn grado's before, and after about 2 hrs my ears had some serious comfort issuses, but i must admit, my friends rs1's were very nice.

May 4, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

I would like an amp that brings some "in your face" vibrance and attack to my HD600's.

The best way to bring life, body, excitement, attack, guts, and energy to your HD600s is to replace them with CD3000s.
icon10.gif

May 4, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rink111
Looks like a very nice amp. I got an amazingly, and wow I mean super fast reply from them saying that a new version will be out in about 3-4 weeks and I could preorder it. Ill have to keep that in mind... Shesh the person must have been in outlook express with a prewritten answer. Haha Thanks! I'm still open to other suggestions tho, I'm sure you all don't agree, if you did this would be one boring forum!

What were you referring to, new version of what amp? Any details?

May 4, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin From Gilmore
We are currently working on a new version of the Gilmore Lite which will begin shipping in 3-4 weeks. The new version features a slightly different box shape, upgraded capacitors, new improved circuit board design (lower noise), and another pair of RCA jacks which can be used as a loop out. The new Gilmore Lite price will increase to $275,
however you can place an order for the current version at $250 as a
pre-order for the new version. Hope this helps.
?

Those are the specs, Im asking for some pictures and more specs, if I get them I'll host them and toss em up here for you all to see.

~Any others?

May 4, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
What were you referring to, new version of what amp? Any details?

Are you talking about the Emmeline SR-71 ?

May 4, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #13 of 15
The new Gilmore Lite
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Rink 111

Quote:

Originally posted by Justin from Gilmore

We are currently working on a new version of the Gilmore Lite which will begin shipping in 3-4 weeks. The new version features a slightly different box shape, upgraded capacitors, new improved circuit board design (lower noise), and another pair of RCA jacks which can be used as a loop out. The new Gilmore Lite price will increase to $275, however you can place an order for the current version at $250 as a pre-order for the new version. Hope this helps?

~more suggestions?

May 4, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 15
New Gilmore Lite Specs. Preorder for $250 for 2 more weeks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin From Gilmore
Right now I dont have any pictures for release, but I can give you an idea of what it looks like. Take a look at the Gilmore Lite on the HeadAmp website. The front panel of the amp is currently about 4.25" wide. Stretch this panel out to 5.75" wide, while reducing the depth of the amp from 6" to 4". The wider enclosure allows for the second pair of RCA jacks to fit on the rear panel, and the depth reduction keeps the overall size of the amp the same (actually slightly smaller)

What other quality options do I have as far as other amp selection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back