Newbie question: SR-125 or HD-600?
Dec 14, 2001 at 4:10 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by mmhardky
Damned, I have found out, that I can have the HD-600 for only cca. 180$! Now it is a very hard decision... The Grado SR-225 would cost me cca. 250$. By the way, I do not plan to buy a phone amp (please don't blame me for that...
smily_headphones1.gif
). I will use my reciever (DENON AVR-3801) phone output. Or should I better use my DVD-AUDIO players output??

I'd say, go for the 600s... except that, if you are really not planning to buy a headphone amp, I think you'd like the 225s *a lot* more.

Let me put it this way. I didn't have a headphone amp, and I preferred my MS-1 (kinda like a 125 or 80) over my Senn 580s. When I got an amp things changed radically, but, at least to me, 580s are very boring without some beefy amplification.

Dec 14, 2001 at 11:34 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by alex231343
mmhardky

where do you find HD 600 for cca$180?

Oh, that is a speciall price just for me...
smily_headphones1.gif
It is in a Hi-Fi store in Austria in Wienna. I have buyed ther all my Hi-Fi equipement except for the speakers.

Is a phone output on a quite good reciever (like DENON AVR-3801 - 2 years ago for cca. 1200$) very bad? I want to use my DVD-audio players analog output to connect it with the reciever and than use its phone output. Is this bad for HD-600?
I have already tested the HD-600, but I had not nothing to compare it with (they hadn't Grado), and it was on a very busy and loud place. But even though, I enjoyed it very much! It sounded great and, oh my god, it was so comfortable!! But I need to directly compare it with Grado.

Dec 15, 2001 at 12:02 AM Post #19 of 26
I might be wrong here (don't think so), but a receiver's (or a DVD-A's) headphone out is always of inferior quality.

It's not as if designers are brainstorming about the best amplification circuit for a headphone in a receiver.

It's very hard to compare the sound of a 600 and a Grado if you read these posts. They can only give you a general idea. Grados are punchier, more exciting and visceral. Sennheisers are calm, relaxed and very detailed. But they really need an amp to shine. A receiver or DVD-A's headphone output <i>simply won't do</i>.

My TA, for example, can barely power them decently. And it's beefy (for a portable).

Dec 15, 2001 at 8:05 PM Post #23 of 26
I know this is heresy around here, but my Senns 580s (very similar to the 600s) sound fantastic through the headphone out on my Onkyo 595 receiver. Clear, rich detalied sound with a well rounded out bass. When I bought the 580s I was thinking I might have to get a headphone amp, but after hearing them through the Onkyo I am very satisfied with the sound and I feel no need to get an amp. YMMV.

Regards, Nick

Dec 16, 2001 at 7:01 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by NickG
I know this is heresy around here, but my Senns 580s (very similar to the 600s) sound fantastic through the headphone out on my Onkyo 595 receiver. Clear, rich detalied sound with a well rounded out bass. When I bought the 580s I was thinking I might have to get a headphone amp, but after hearing them through the Onkyo I am very satisfied with the sound and I feel no need to get an amp. YMMV.

Regards, Nick

I thought the exact same thing when I first plugged my Senns to my RX-995 receiver. Then came Grados, and the Senns were stored. Then came my X-CansV2, and my Grados were stored
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2001 at 10:56 PM Post #26 of 26
I have decided for the HD-600. The first time, I listened to Sennheiser (and liked Grado SR-125 better), I was listening to HD-570 (not 580). Now I have listened to HD-600, and it is great! I have not heard the SR-225 yet, but it is too expensive for me (cca. 260$). I preffer HD-600 to SR-125, so I will go for Sennheiser.
Thank you for your advices, it helped me a lot! This is a great forum!

Jan Steno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back