Newbie question (Source -> DAC)
Oct 22, 2012 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wgcho

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, 

I consider myself quite technical (advanced degree in Computer Science) but as I am relatively new to digital music, I am having these burning questions - which seem quite basic, but hard to find answer for. 

- I have a Mac Mini connected to Lindeman DAC via USB. I thought, in this way, the music file (AFLAC) is directly passed to the DAC, and therefore as long as the cable is good enough to not cause jitter, the sound quality should NOT depend on the music player I am using. I currently use iTunes, but people say I will get better sound by using something like Amarra. If this is true, that means some sort of signal processing is happening at the software level. Can I set it up so that the raw digital music is sent to the DAC so all the audio processing happens independently of the computer or software?

- Similar question, in this case for when I am using an iPod transport. I was reading a review for the Wadia 171 transport in which it says the audio quality was different when connecting an iPod vs. an iPad. The reviewer noted that the difference could be coming from the iPad cable. How is this possible? Does the iPod/iPad transport do more than extracting digital music and sending it over to the DAC? How can a longer cable for digital transport affect the audio quality??

Although these two are different questions, they are actually the same in the sense that I am asking for what happens in the source-to-DAC process. 

This is probably a very fundamental question, so any pointers to a good reading is also welcome!

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 4
DAC does not care about file formats: it is capable of processing uncompressed digital data streams only. The role of audio player software is to prepare these streams based on the information contained in the files and pass it to the sound driver.
Decompression of lossless formats should not cause any variances in the restored data (different story with MP3 files), but there are several possible interfaces to choose from between the application layer and the audio drivers - and this is where the applications may differ.

The second question relates to the domain in which I have no experience, so I won't comment on that.

Cheers,

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi,
I tried all the main players and the best one for my ears and value for money was Audirvana, which did 95% of what the most expensive players did.

Apart from having better processing, such players turn off all the other MAC apps, so your Mac Mini is pretty well devoted to music output as well as playing from RAM not hard disc. Folk claim major differences in sound between compressed and full size files and even AIFF and WAv files. if there is a difference it will likely depend on your processor speed /RAM as you are asking the processor to do real time processing.
David

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
DAC does not care about file formats: it is capable of processing uncompressed digital data streams only. The role of audio player software is to prepare these streams based on the information contained in the files and pass it to the sound driver.
Decompression of lossless formats should not cause any variances in the restored data (different story with MP3 files), but there are several possible interfaces to choose from between the application layer and the audio drivers - and this is where the applications may differ.

The second question relates to the domain in which I have no experience, so I won't comment on that.

Cheers,

OMG, Thanks so much PleasantSounds...I was having so much problems understanding why people bought DACs because i wrongly understood it as an external sound card. As you can see I'm still a young fledgeling in this whole business

Users who are viewing this thread

Back