newbie question regarding Linn Classik
Jun 6, 2002 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

redyolk

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I just found out about this site from some of your posts on other audio forums (Audiogon and Audioasylum), and so far I am pretty impressed with the number of knowledgable headphone lovers here!
cool.gif

Anyways, I am looking for your opinions and/or experiences with the Linn Classik. Currently considering either the Classik or the NAD L40 for a office system. I won't be using speakers due to space constrains, so I am looking for mainly info on its headphone jack performance...

FYI, I will probably be using either the AT ATH-W2002 and/or the AKG 501 with the Linn/NAD.

Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 14
Welcome to Head-Fi!

I've got the Classik. I find its jack excellent--approaching the performance of dedicated head amps with Senn 600s. It drives Grado 325s well too. And my old Rotel integrated does a good job. Some of the NADs are reported to have nice jacks as well.
I've forgotten which jacks are relatively bad--lots are.

Jun 6, 2002 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Welcome to Head-Fi!

I've got the Classik. I find its jack excellent--approaching the performance of dedicated head amps with Senn 600s. It drives Grado 325s well too. And my old Rotel integrated does a good job. Some of the NADs are reported to have nice jacks as well.
I've forgotten which jacks are relatively bad--lots are.

Hi daycart1,

Would the Classik have enough juice to drive the AKG501, which thrives on power? I have heard mixed reviews about the NAD, but the L40 seems to be pretty reliable. Which version of the Classik do you have? The "T" version or the "K" version?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2002 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 14
We have an L40, and while it's a great unit, I would suspect, from everything I know about Linn and from the reviews I've read, that the Linn would be a better sounding system given the same speakers. Of course, it's also 2-3 times the price, so I would expect it to be significantly better.

As for the headphone jack, NAD units tend to have some of the best headphone jacks. However, neither of these units will have a headphone jack that is equal in quality to even the entry level (Little, Creek, MGHead) dedicated headphone jacks. They'll be able to drive the K 501, but not as well as a good amp will.

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 14
Hi MacDEF,

The only thing that's preventing me from getting a dedicated headphone amp for my cans is space (or lack of) in my office. I really want both the CD player and the tuner available as sources, but if I go with separates, I would be outta desk/office space for me to sit!

Thanks for sharing your exp. with the NAD. In the case that I can't find a decent Classik under $1200, I might go with the NAD and upgrade later.
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys! Keep those comments coming!
cool.gif

Jun 7, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by redyolk
The only thing that's preventing me from getting a dedicated headphone amp for my cans is space (or lack of) in my office. I really want both the CD player and the tuner available as sources, but if I go with separates, I would be outta desk/office space for me to sit!

What about going vertical?
wink.gif
With either of the systems, you could put the headamp on top...

Jun 7, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 14
Hi daycart1,

Would the Classik have enough juice to drive the AKG501, which thrives on power? I have heard mixed reviews about the NAD, but the L40 seems to be pretty reliable. Which version of the Classik do you have? The "T" version or the "K" version?

I have the one with the tuner, I guess that means T (excellent performer with radio, BTW)

I haven't tried it with the akg--The Senn has even higher impedence... I have to crank the volume up pretty high, but the music is extremely loud and undistorted when the volume is at 70/1000. I'd be surprised if it did worse with the AKG.

The Classik box is really small, but as MacDef says, any of the entry level headamps would fit on top.

Jun 7, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 14
the headphone jack in the Classik/LS-40 and get a dedicate headphone amp (recommendations welcome for AKG)?
biggrin.gif
I would like to get the best out of the AKG if possible. Of course, this would mean more $$$ too!
wink.gif

And yes, OF course I could stack them....
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by redyolk
does that mean I should forgo the headphone jack in the Classik/LS-40 and get a dedicate headphone amp (recommendations welcome for AKG)?
biggrin.gif
I would like to get the best out of the AKG if possible. Of course, this would mean more $$$ too!
wink.gif

Having owned the K 501, IMO, you really don't hear what they're capable of without a great amp. If you get an amp with a return policy, you can always return it if it's not enough of an improvement over the L40/Classik jack.

Jun 7, 2002 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 14
That's a good idea...I think I will do that! May I ask which amp(s) did you use with your AKG 501?

Jun 7, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #12 of 14
LOL, thanks
wink.gif

As for amps, I have a Max, so my point of comparison was fairly skewed (K 501 powered by a Max vs. out of a tiny portable amp vs. no amp), but the one thing it showed me was how dependent the K 501 was on good power. I believe that Neruda has heard the K 501 on a number of "lesser" amps, so he would probably be a better person to ask in terms of the "minimum" amp to use with these cans.

Jun 7, 2002 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 14
Any good amp should do. Any amp will help.

I find that a Total Airhead does an adequate job with a hot source (PJB100 has meatier outputs than most, if not all, other portables). I use this combo at work.

The Meier Corda HA-1 does a great job with the 501s but I mainly use the Corda with my HD600s at home these days.

Depending on the source an Airhead or Porta Corda could do an adequate job but most outputs are pretty weak. I would think this new Meta42 design would work pretty well with the K501s and at a reasonable price.

Seeing how your not portable (and, yes, I have used my 501s portable before), I would consider having Tangent or JMT build you a good linear-regulated-wall-wart Meta42 w/ upgrades and corssfeed first followed by a Corda HA-1 or a Supreme or Cosmic from Headroom.

Jun 7, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
Any good amp should do. Any amp will help.

I find that a Total Airhead........

Hmm, I'm not convinced that is quite right. I'm inclined to think that the best component jacks (some NADs, Rotels, the Classik, others?) are as good as or even better than the entry level portables.

Of course, if you get a portable, you can "port" it as well. And some have crossfeed which can be a valuable addition....

But (crossfeed aside), I don't think one will gain anything by buying an RCA-mini IC to run (say) a Total Airhead from a Classik. I really like my JMT-CMOY at work, but would never hook it up to the Classik except as an experiment. (Gee, now I'm tempted to do an A/B!)

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back