Newbie question on DAC's
Apr 2, 2006 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

raduray

100+ Head-Fier
I get that you can hook up the DAC to the USB port of your PC, but I'm still unclear on a few things.

If I connect an integrated DAC/Amp, say a Total Bithead, to the USB port of my laptop playing Windows Media Player, do I need a driver to be loaded, or does Windows automatically recognize the DAC?

Also, I've read that this configuration outputs only the music and not the various Windows sounds. Is that automatic, or do I need to configure the driver, or some other software, to do that.

Finally, is the Total Bithead strong enough for needier headphones like the Senn 600/650, or is something else needed?

Thanks,
Radu

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 2
1. As far as I know, none of the HeadRoom DACs require drivers which are not already built into Windows. Actually, I guess that none of the Meier DACs do either. So basically, no.

2. With regard to squelching Windows sounds, I'm not sure if they are muted by default, or if you need to change it manually. Doing so manually is really simple and doesn't require any third party software, etc. So either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Do a quick search on the most recent threads regarding the new total bithead/airheads. I recall reading that they can drive HD650s pretty well--so unless you've got some really demanding cans, I think you'd be okay.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back