Newbie Question: How to burn in?
Sep 6, 2002 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Semmy

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm rather new to this forum so please forgive me if I ask a newbie question.

I have already read a few of the postings here. There's one thing that was kinda new to me and that's the necessarity of "burning in" new phones.

Well, I've just bought a new pair of HD 590s (No, this ain't gonna be another HD 590 vs. HD 600 thread
wink.gif
) and I wonder how to do the "burning in" the right way. Are there any things I have to pay attention to? Does anybody have a few tips how to do that the best way?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ralf

Sep 6, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi,

You don't have to do anything special, just use the phones and they will become burned-in. Then you can hear how they change in character and sound better, more or less for different components.
If you want to speed up the process you can play them without listening from a tuner or a CD on repeat. Set the volume at a normal level or slightly higher. It usually takes between 24 and 96 hours.
No mystery, just like walking in a pair of shoes.

Sep 6, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 6
I reccomend just getting some pink noise, and playing it on a CD on repeat, for the first 20 hours, low voliume, the second 20 hours, medium voliume, and the third 20 hours, high voliume. It'll help the sound alot.

Pink noise is reccomended because it has a ton of range, and will make a better, more even, burn in, but any CD will work.

Sep 7, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 6
There is no reason to burn them in at volumes above what you would ever listen to. Slightly above normal listening volume is good, but if you go too high you could ruin your headphones.

Varying the volume level is probably good, though I doubt that it is necessary.

Sep 18, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 6
i just hook them up to my computer and play thru my entire mp3 list a coupla times (which is about 10+ hrs each time). this way, since i rip a lot of my cds to my hdd, i'm sure to get many different types of sounds thru my phones, from hard japanese rock to symphonies to the crooning of diana krall and etc...

i have to add to semmy's question tho... i've heard a lot about pink noise, but noone's ever told me, just what exactly is pink noise? and where can i find some to play? my dad will be burning in a new home hifi rig in a month or two too, so i'd like to find out for his sake as well...

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 6
Rane Professional Audio Reference - pink noise:
http://www.rane.com/par-p.html#pink_noise

PINK.ZIP, available below, will unzip to an 862 KB, 10 second Wave Sound, 44.1 kHz, 16-bit, mono.

You should be able to open the small included PNG image with Internet Explorer.

Also, take a look at the 0_readme.txt file available below.

Stockport Radio Society - WAV files:
http://www.stockportradiosociety.co....sp?FolderID=27

Jan Meier's comment on break-in:
http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/tricks.htm

Personally, I just use a well-tuned FM rock station for 2-3 days.

TravelLite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back