Newbie question, Connecting Schiit Modi to Yamaha Receiver
Oct 17, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #16 of 21
So in general all I'm using is the Yamaha Receiver using toslink cables connected to my Macbook Pro and Vox Music player and occasionally I use XLD Converter. Equipment wise or software wise in general any recommendations on what else I should get or try? I know headphones for sure but beyond that. 

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #17 of 21
  So in general all I'm using is the Yamaha Receiver using Toslink cables connected to my Macbook Pro and Vox Music player and occasionally I use XLD Converter. Equipment wise or software wise in general any recommendations on what else I should get or try? I know headphones for sure but beyond that. 

A $200 receiver (RX-357) is not going to ship with a high priced DAC chip, so getting something to connect between the Mac and the Yamaha should help audio quality.
Hifimediy Sabre U2 USB DAC, $57+shipping(8?) should help audio quality with the Yamaha.

Or maybe just buy headphones you could plug straight into the Mac.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X ($160)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-technica-ATH-AD900X-Dynamic-Open-Air-Model-Headphones-Japan-Import-/121459571280?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1c478dfa50

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 21
So the burr brown dac that's included in the receiver isn't good?  

In a $200 receiver you get a cheap electronics, and the implementation of the DAC chip is typically more important than the chip itself. Plus, there are different models of Burr Brown chips. And "good" is relative to performance expectations. So depends on what you think is good.

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #20 of 21
  So the burr brown DAC that's included in the receiver isn't good?  

It's low cost A/V receiver, so Yamaha has to watch their pennies.
So my personal opinion is that I would expect Yamaha to buy the cheapest DAC chips they can, that is still somewhat barely decent.
But I can't really back up my opinions with facts on DAC chips in modern receivers because no one ever opens up the modern receiver publishes what model the DAC chips are.

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #21 of 21

I'm curious as to which DAC chip is inside the Yamaha Receiver. I will open it up to see, I'll post pics of it. I'm fairly new to forums and etc. If I do take it apart would I post pics in this thread or start a new one? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back