Newbie question, Connecting Schiit Modi to Yamaha Receiver
Sep 25, 2014 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jwall01

New Head-Fier
Hello I am new to this forum and to the audio world somewhat. My question is can I connect the Schiit Modi Usb/Dac from my Macbook to my Yamaha Rx V367 Receiver? 

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 21
Yes you can but it would be pointless because your receiver already has an optical input.  I'd just buy one of these toslinks and an adaptor for your macbook.  I don't think the price of the modi would be worth the change in performance, your receiver actually offers 24/196 while the modi doesn't(not like you'll use it), I have no idea if it has a better chip than the modi though.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 21
Thank you for your response! The other only thing is that I received the Yamaha receiver as a gift so it's not hooked up to any speakers or etc. I am currently using the Bose Companion 3 Series 2. Could I use the receiver just for the purpose of the headphone output? Sorry for all these questions.

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #4 of 21
Sure. Hook your computer up to your receiver and then plug in your headphones. Sometimes, receivers don't do great with low impedance headphones (if you have those). But might as well try it and see what you think :)

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 21
  Thank you for your response! The other only thing is that I received the Yamaha receiver as a gift so it's not hooked up to any speakers or etc. I am currently using the Bose Companion 3 Series 2. Could I use the receiver just for the purpose of the headphone output? Sorry for all these questions.

You can use the Yamaha receiver for driving higher impedance headphones.
What headphone do you own or are planning to get?

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 21
I'm not sure on what headphones I'm planning on purchasing. Any recommendations? Currently the only one I'm using is a Harman Kardon Cl series.

AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm) or any 250-Ohm Beyerdynamic (DT880 or DT990).

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 21
Hello my fellow Audiophiles!!! Sorry for not keeping up with the forums, been kinda busy. So I got the toslink to mini toslink cable with the 3.5mm adapter for my Macbook Pro. It took a while considering I'm a newbie at this but everything seems to be working fine now. I although do have a question though, is there a way to determine if the burr brown DAC that's built into my Yamaha receiver is actually converting the audio? Again sorry if this question sounds stupid or dumb, but I must start learning somewhere. Thanks again everyone for the kindliness and support so far it's definitely open up my eyes and ears differently now then back then.

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 21
  Hello my fellow Audiophiles!!! Sorry for not keeping up with the forums, been kinda busy. So I got the toslink to mini toslink cable with the 3.5mm adapter for my Macbook Pro. It took a while considering I'm a newbie at this but everything seems to be working fine now. I although do have a question though, is there a way to determine if the burr brown DAC that's built into my Yamaha receiver is actually converting the audio? Again sorry if this question sounds stupid or dumb, but I must start learning somewhere. Thanks again everyone for the kindliness and support so far it's definitely open up my eyes and ears differently now then back then.

If your connecting the source to the Yamaha and the input into the Yamaha is digital, like HDMI, optical, coaxial, USB, then the Yamaha would be having to use it's built in DAC.
If the connection into the Yamaha was analog (RCA red/white) then the Yamaha's DAC would be bypassed.

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 21
Oops sorry I forgot to ask this question as well. When I'm listening to music my Yamaha receiver says "PCM" could explain that to me in human terms as well? Sorry 
regular_smile .gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 21
  Oops sorry I forgot to ask this question as well. When I'm listening to music my Yamaha receiver says "PCM" could explain that to me in human terms as well? Sorry 
regular_smile .gif

PCM is the normal uncompressed audio and the Yamaha is not doing any changes to the audio.
If the Yamaha was doing changes (or some sort of processing), you would see words like Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby True-HD, DTS Master Audio, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back