Newbie question about how to adjust volume for DAC1 vs. GS-1
Apr 26, 2005 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

brianknewbie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm wondering what the best way (highest sound quality) to adjust the volume for songs, considering that for my setup of PC --> DAC1 --> GS-1, I have the following options:
* volume on the PC
* volume on DAC1
* volume on GS-1 amp

So for example do I put the volume on PC and volume on DAC1 at max or near max and then the GS-1 would be pretty low accordingly?

Right now I just have both the DAC1 and the GS-1 at approximately halfway until I find out the Approved Head-Fi way of doing it
biggrin.gif

Not sure if this matters but GS-1 apparently has stepped attenuators (although I still hear sound in between the notches of the knob?) and DAC1 has the same thing -- there are clicks on the volume knob but I hear sounds in between the notches.

Thanks in advance!
Brian

Apr 26, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 8
well you need to keeep your computer volume all the way up, since lowering the volume digitally generally means you lose 1 bit of resolution for every 6db drop in volume.

next, turn your DAC1 to fixed volume output, there is no reason to keep the volume pot in the circuit if you're feeding an amp with a volume control.

then adjust the volume on your GS-1. this will give you the maximum resolution and minimum signal path length.

-greg

Apr 26, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 8
my PC volume is at max, my DAC-1 volume is at 9 o'clock, and my headroom home amp volume is also at 9 o'clock. Thats for loud listening sessions (using speakers for example). For headphones and a little more quiet, everything around 8 o'clock with PC volume maxed out.

Apr 26, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by videocrew
well you need to keeep your computer volume all the way up, since lowering the volume digitally generally means you lose 1 bit of resolution for every 6db drop in volume.

next, turn your DAC1 to fixed volume output, there is no reason to keep the volume pot in the circuit if you're feedi ng an amp with a volume control.

then adjust the volume on your GS-1. this will give you the maximum resolution and minimum signal path length.

-greg

Thanks for the reply & explanation.

Do you have DAC1? Or are you speaking generally? I'm not sure how to "turn your DAC1 to fixed volume output." I'm thinking it's from the "calibrated" volume setting. This is how it's described in a few reviews:
Quote:

A three-position switch on the rear panel selects a fixed output level, which is adjustable via trim pots, or a variable level that is controlled by the front-panel knob.

Quote:

Throwing in two headphone amp modules (2 x 60-ohm phones may be run in parallel) and master gain as well as balanced i/o ports (and a fixed-gain provision to bypass the volume pot altogether)

Here is a picture of the back:
hero_back.jpg

Question #1:
So it seems that I set it to Calibrated and set the desired volume accordingly via these "L" and "R" settings on the back and by doing this, the stepped attenuator path is bypassed altogether?

Question #2:
I also plan on using the DAC1's XLR outputs for when I get XLR'd Zu for my 650. For this it seems that I would want to use the volume pot's stepped attenuator to set the volume. Is it as simple as flipping the switch to "variable" to then have the ability to control the volume once more?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Brian

Apr 26, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 8
Hi Brian,

DAC1 owner here. Hope the others don't mind me butting in with an answer or two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianknewbie
Question #1:
So it seems that I set it to Calibrated and set the desired volume accordingly via these "L" and "R" settings on the back and by doing this, the stepped attenuator path is bypassed altogether?

Question #2:
I also plan on using the DAC1's XLR outputs for when I get XLR'd Zu for my 650. For this it seems that I would want to use the volume pot's stepped attenuator to set the volume. Is it as simple as flipping the switch to "variable" to then have the ability to control the volume once more?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Brian

Question 1: Yes, when set to "calibrated", the volume control on the DAC1 has no effect on its output to your amp. But do NOT fool with the L and R controls. The DAC1 comes from the factory with the RCA unbalanced output set to the consumer standard of 2 volts. Those L and R adjustments are for pros who need independent output adjustments for studio applications; leave 'em where they are and you'll be using the DAC1 properly with your amp!

Question 2: The simple answer is "yes". Switch down, "Variable", allows the volume control to affect output while switch up, "calibrated", takes it out of the circuit. With that switch in the middle position, there will be no output at all from the outputs on the rear of the DAC1 but the volume control will still work with headphones plugged into the jacks on the front of the unit.

I'd caution you to make sure you understand what you're doing when using the balanced outputs. (I haven't done it myself.) There are internal jumpers in the DAC1 that affect the strength of the output from the balanced connection and there are discussions here about how to properly set them for use with your 650s.

Best,
Beau

Apr 26, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauregard
Hi Brian,
DAC1 owner here. Hope the others don't mind me butting in with an answer or two.

I'd hope not! DAC1 owners are the ones who will have the most helpful advice!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Question 1: Yes, when set to "calibrated", the volume control on the DAC1 has no effect on its output to your amp. But do NOT fool with the L and R controls. The DAC1 comes from the factory with the RCA unbalanced output set to the consumer standard of 2 volts. Those L and R adjustments are for pros who need independent output adjustments for studio applications; leave 'em where they are and you'll be using the DAC1 properly with your amp!

Whoa, thanks for the info! I assumed I would have to adjust the fixed volume, probably lower it, when I used the fixed output ("Calibrated output") to the GS-1. I figured I'd err on the caution of having it too low and then adjust the Left/Right pots upward as needed. But it sounds like the default setting is fine for the GS-1 to handle. So I would just set the switch to "Calibrated," not touch the Left or Right pots on the back, and just adjust the volume on the GS-1 as needed?

Quote:

I'd caution you to make sure you understand what you're doing when using the balanced outputs. (I haven't done it myself.) There are internal jumpers in the DAC1 that affect the strength of the output from the balanced connection and there are discussions here about how to properly set them for use with your 650s.

This portion of your reply is referring to the XLR connections that I'll be using with the Zu XLR'd 650s, not the RCA outs that I'll be using to the GS-1, correct? I do remember seeing a thread with pictures of this jumper and I had planned to review this before I tried anything
biggrin.gif

Thanks again!

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 8
Yo Brian...

Quote:

But it sounds like the default setting is fine for the GS-1 to handle. So I would just set the switch to "Calibrated," not touch the Left or Right pots on the back, and just adjust the volume on the GS-1 as needed?

Yep, that's the trick! The folks at Benchmark have already set the L and R pots to just where you want them when using an external amp via the unbalanced outputs in "calibrated" mode. It's the industry standard output (2V) that you should find in any properly engineered DAC, CD player, etc. - and it's what your amp is designed to receive from a source.
Quote:

This portion of your reply is referring to the XLR connections that I'll be using with the Zu XLR'd 650s, not the RCA outs that I'll be using to the GS-1, correct?

Right again! The internal jumpers have no effect on the unbalanced outputs you're using with the GS-1.

Enjoy the DAC1 - it's a nifty piece of equipment!

Best,
Beau

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 8
Slightly OT but relating to computer volume, on my EMU 0404 I keep all the levels set to 0.0 rather than +12, then I adjust volume with my Gilmore Lite.

I thought raising the volume in windows all the way to the max can introduce distortion, better to keep windows volume to 50% or at 0.0 db if you have an emu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back