Newbie question about amp choice for AKG K701
Mar 18, 2006 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

hell0un1verse

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am new to this forum, I am going to purchse an AKG K701, could anybody offer me some suggestions on which amp to choose? Currently I am looking at Creek Audio OBH-11, any opinion on this specific amp? Thanks in advance.

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 16
I'm going to include myself in this thread since I'm in the same position as the author of it.

My budget? $2000, worst case scenario. Crazy scenario, even.

Goal: Something that's appreciably better in every respect from simply using my current AV Receiver and its headphone jack.

I've read a lot around here and I've seen the arguments about "discrete" and Class A and I'm somewhat inclined to favor that side of things, which is why I would say the Gilmore products at headamp.com are probably my front runners.

Outside of those, I've been looking over the Cordas, Singlepowers, and Headrooms.

The real problem here is: There seems to be a lot of great choices, tube or non tube, and you just have to somehow find a way to start narrowing choices.

I feel like I'm fairly clear on the "pros and cons" of going tube, and I may steer clear of that for now.

All thoughts and input appreciated. Some of you have already been VERY helpful and patient over PM as well.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm in the same boat; waiting for my 701s. I'd be willing to go up to about $300 for an amp. I've heard the musical fidelity X-cans v3 are wonderful. Can they be had for under their $400 list price?

I will be running my stuff through an Adcom 565 preamp. Any chance that will already do a good job for me?

russedelic

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen
I feel like I'm fairly clear on the "pros and cons" of going tube, and I may steer clear of that for now.

Actually, given everything I've heard about the K701, it wouldn't surprise me if tube amps were a good idea, to make it more warm and musical, in contrast to its default, which is supposed to be cold and analytical.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Actually, given everything I've heard about the K701, it wouldn't surprise me if tube amps were a good idea, to make it more warm and musical, in contrast to its default, which is supposed to be cold and analytical.

That's why I haven't completely ruled them out. I like some natural warmth to my music.

And to be specific, the reason I come up with a $2000 ceiling is because I'm thinking of products like the Headamp GS-X, which is about $1799 if I'm not mistaken?

Just to give you all a rough idea of where I'm at...

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 16
Hi All,

I'm interested in these terms like "warmth" and "cold" or "analytical." When I have talked to a couple sales people, they asked me what kind of speakers I liked. I always liked old ADS L810s over lots of others because they sounded open, airy, great in mid and high range. Lots of other speakers sounded slightly muted, but had great bass. If this is what these terms mean, I really think we need different lingo. To be open and airy (subjective, I know!) is not the same as being "cold" or "analytical."

Or, do people tend to mean something different when applying these terms to headphones?

thanks,
russedelic

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hell0un1verse
Hi, thank you for your reply. I guess I have US$200 to spend for this amp
smily_headphones1.gif

$200 is a difficult price point. If you do not have a good source, and would like to use your computer's USB output, the $199 HeadRoom Total Bithead is a great starter amp. The older models would have had a little difficulty driving the K701, but the updated 2006 model has corrected that. It is a small, portable amp and DAC all in one, accepting power and digital audio from USB, or from an analogue source and batteries.

The mainstream HeadRoom, Ray Samuels and Headamp amplifiers all start around $300, so you may be able to get the best sound quality for that money by having someone build a DIY design, such as a Pimeta, PPA or low end M3.

Mar 18, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
$200 is a difficult price point. If you do not have a good source, and would like to use your computer's USB output, the $199 HeadRoom Total Bithead is a great starter amp. The older models would have had a little difficulty driving the K701, but the updated 2006 model has corrected that. It is a small, portable amp and DAC all in one, accepting power and digital audio from USB, or from an analogue source and batteries.

The mainstream HeadRoom, Ray Samuels and Headamp amplifiers all start around $300, so you may be able to get the best sound quality for that money by having someone build a DIY design, such as a Pimeta, PPA or low end M3.

From my research for an amp for the 701's. It seems to me the Gilmore Lite would be a good choice if he could raise his budget just a little more. The Gilmore Lite is $299. I haven't heard the Gilmore myself. My thoughts are only from my research because like I said, I'm getting the 701's myself.

www.headamp.com

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hell0un1verse
Thank you TheSloth. Seems that I have to consider to raise my budget, but before I do that, I'd like to hear from people about Maxi Moy SE
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks again.

I have one on order, and that's all I can tell you.
frown.gif

Except that I already have a standard Mini Head amp which sounds very good for the size and price. I believe you'd have a hard time finding something better for less than $100.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 16
I was reading the forum extensively these days, now there are several choices which seem to stand out:

1. Gilmore Lite
2. WooAudio 3
3. Antique Sound Lab's MG HEAD DT OTL MKIII
4. Maxi Moy Signature Edition

What do you guys think about them? I mean for driving AKG K701. I am more inclined to #3, US$400 seems to be nice, considering it has seperate power supply, and all tube design which I like better. But I am not sure if it's pure Class A design? And I really don't know how these spec's would affect the performance, for example, is its output power enough for K701, etc.?

And BTW, Antique Sound Lab doesn't seem to have its own website? Divergent Technologies is the dealer? When I searched Antique Sound Lab with Google, the first result was Divergent Tech's website: http://www.divertech.com/antiquesl.html

Your opinion will be truly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif
Or if you have any other amp suggestion for AKG K701, please let me know too, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back