Newbie Q. Input wear and tear
Mar 22, 2004 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.
I'm new to the forum, although I've been actively reading hundreds of threads the last two months. Most of my questions have been answered just by researching the threads. For example the Senn 600s appear to be what I was looking for with a cardis cable upgrade which I have since auditioned and purchased.
I've narrowed the amp/preamp down to either the Corda Prehead or the HA-2. Dr Meier has been kind enough to answer my email questions promptlyand concisely but I felt I needed some muliple feedback based on your experiences with inputs.
Presently all I have left of my audio collection are the Senn 600's,Cardis cable and a Linn Lp12 turntable. (I may add a Theta Dac and Transport at a later date - next year) plus literally hundreds of Lps and approx 700 cds.
If I only use one source I feel the HA2 will suit my needs but if I use two sources (LP12 and CD player) it would be nice to have the extra inputs found on the Prehead. Unfortunately the extra cost for the Prehead is a stretch.

So if I purchase the HA2 and switch the sources regularly on the HA2 will I wear out the input jacks on the amp and if so approx how fast? Let's say I switch once a day.
Ideally the Prehead seems to be what I require and may be able to swing but if not I'll go for the HA2.

Sorry this is so long and I did try to find this out in the thread searches. If you know of a thread I missed please let me know

Best Regards,
Rob

Mar 22, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi Rob- Welcome to headfi and sorry about your wallet! There is a bigger concern. Without a stand alone phono stage, you will not be able to listen to your LP12. There are 2 reasons you will need the phono stage
1. A phono cart (even h.o. MM), does not supply enough voltage for a pre-amp to process. The output of a phono cart is typically from a fraction of a millivolt to a few millivolts, way below what a line stage pre-amp or hp amp needs. If you get anything at all, you will be driving the amp into clipping, big time.
2. LPs are mastered after the audio signal has been processed to make up for certain physical limitations in the LP medium. The signal from the tape is passed through an equalization curve (RIAA). A phono stage applies a reverse equalization in addition to amplifying the small signal.

WRT physical wear, if you are very careful, you will probably be OK, but I would be concerned about stressing the solder and/or crimp joints, esp on the input jack at the hp amp.

Mar 22, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 5
Opps, Sorry. I do have a phono stage.

"WRT physical wear, if you are very careful, you will probably be OK, but I would be concerned about stressing the solder and/or crimp joints, esp on the input jack at the hp amp."

Thanks, I didn't consider the possible stress to the solder or crimp joints.This may be the only info I'll need to make my decision but I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone out there run multiple sources from a single amp, changing interconnects when you change the source and what are your thoughts and/or experiences?

The Prehead is looking like the front running candidate based on the stress info.

Again, Thanks,
Rob

Mar 23, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 5
Perhaps you could buy a nice input selector? Or even make one, all you'd need is 6 RCA jacks, a case, a bit of wire, and a good quality DPDT switch. Probably wouldn't cost more thna $40, using gold RCA jacks, silver wire, and a good DPDT switch.

Mar 23, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by EVI
If I only use one source I feel the HA2 will suit my needs but if I use two sources (LP12 and CD player) it would be nice to have the extra inputs found on the Prehead. Unfortunately the extra cost for the Prehead is a stretch.

So if I purchase the HA2 and switch the sources regularly on the HA2 will I wear out the input jacks on the amp and if so approx how fast? Let's say I switch once a day.
Ideally the Prehead seems to be what I require and may be able to swing but if not I'll go for the HA2.

Sorry this is so long and I did try to find this out in the thread searches. If you know of a thread I missed please let me know

Rob,

Firstly, welcome to Head-Fi.
smily_headphones1.gif
And secondly, welcome to team Sennheiser.
600smile.gif

The Corda HA-2 is a very good amp indeed. For its price, it gives you plenty of run for the money. As for your concerns about "wear & tear," I really doubt that you would wear down he RCA jacks on the HA-2 by switching the IC cables frequently. I do the same thing to my Headroom Supreme for some 10 years now and the RCA input jack on my amp is still as firm as the day it first arrived in the mail.

While Jan Meier might be the best person to address your concerns, I believe that the HA-2 should have no problems with the constant switching. Of cource it would be advisable that you do the switching with a degree of gentleness and refrain from excessive force.

I would sooner worry about your Interconnect's ability to withstand the constant stress associated with plugging and unplugging. Do not to unplug them by pulling on the cord. And try to get an interconnnect that doesn't hold the RCA jacks in a "death grip."

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back