Newbie needs to know: Senn MX500 or Sony EX70?
Sep 24, 2002 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jp341

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I don't know much about headphones, so I hope you can help me out.

I am looking for a good pair of earbuds ($50 or less) to listen to my SlimX on.

I would like some noise cancelling, but I don't need outside noises to be TOTALLY blocked either. I live in the city and take the subway, so it would be nice to not hear the roar of traffic/trains over my music. I also dont' want the buds falling out of my ears when I exercise.

I was considering the Sony EX70LP, but I have read so many mixed reviews about it. I don't listen to music with a lot of bass, so the reviews I've read kind of worry me, since they say the bass can be too powerful.

I have heard good things about the Sennheiser MX500, and I do like the lower price. However, how much noise cancelling does the MX500 have? Is the noise cancelling at least going to be better than typical cheapo earbuds? Do they stay in your ears while exercising?

I don't mind spending $50, but my question is, is are the sonys worth the extra price? Price notwithstanding, which do you guys think are the better earbuds for urban listening?

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 6
If noise cancellation is important you really should go with the EX70s. Then again if sound quality is more important I'm pretty sure the MX500s sound a lot better.

With that said, I still enjoyed the EX70s when I used them a few years ago. I guess if you're not spoiled by really good earphones yet they should suffice, but beware of them if you've ever heard an Etymotic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 6
I do not have EX70 , so I can't really comment on the sound. But I have the mx500 and I can say that the sound is really good. The bass is quite good.The treble is smooth and the sound is quite enjoyable.

I think you can't really go wrong with mx-500. The price is very cheap also.

Sep 24, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 6
If you like to listen to music loud - I recommend the Senn's (or the Koss KSC-35's is you can get them). If you are intending listening at lower levels - the Sony's will isolate well enough to allow this and not sound too bad.

I have the Sony EX-70, Senn MX-400, Sony 888's and the Koss KSC-35's ((as well as the Etymotics ER4P (I know, I know, I'm mad!)). Each has their purpose.

Comparisons
===========================================
EX-70 - Pros.
Good noise cancellation. Fairly inexpensive. Comfortable (you can actually lay on your side in bed with these on). They actually sound very good for classical music at low levels.

EX-70's - Cons.
Harsh sound with deep boomy bass - even with modifications. Can get gross with earwax (although of course they're not the only ones!).
Senn MX-400 - Pros.
Nice and cheap. Efficient. Excellent sound ranks with the best. Lightweight.

Senn MX-400 - Cons.
Don't fit too well. Cheap cable and plug (nitpicking!).
Sony 888 - Pros.
Fit well. Lovely midrange. Efficient (more so than the 400's). Good bass, very relaxing compared to other earbuds.

Sony 888 - Cons.
Not that much better than the MX-400's. Potentially fragile. slightly recessed treble (although I actually like that). Does not improve with amplification.
Koss KSC-35 - Pros.
Nice comfortable fit, fairly efficient, punchy deep and surprisingly powerful sound, improves with amplification.

Koss KSC-35 - Cons.
Could be slightly more efficient, damned difficult to get hold of locally now, people keep trying to steal them off me once they've tried them, cheap cable and plug.

In case you haven't guessed I usually use the Koss KSC-35's now. I'm afraid the Senn's are relegated to late night listening in bed (along with the Sony EX-70's).

Believe it or not I actually listen to the Koss models more often than the Ety's. This is not because they sound better but rather I don't use the Ety's when walking around and I currently spend most of my time listening to music this way.

Sep 24, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Well after reading these comments and some other ones here, I am leaning toward the EX70s.

Why? The noise cancellation is important, as is comfort and stay-in-your-ears-ability. And it's widely available. I don't crank up the volume that loud, so I'm hoping the bass won't bother me. This is going to be my first pair of headphones (apart from the things that have come with my portable CD players) so I think anything should sound pretty good to my ears.

Oct 17, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 6
Well I have the EX-70 they are not so bad if you don't lisent to any quality headphones. If I haven't lisent to any other quality headphones the Ex-70 are not bad, fairly good sound reproduction considering all the other crappy earbug that come with portable cd and doesn't hurt my ears that a plus. And it's good when you take the bus especialy if your just beside the engin I tend to lisen to classical so there is a lot of dynamic range ie low volume follow by high volume. With nomal headphones it a no go in the bus because you have to crank the volume up to heard the low part and with everyone around you lisenning to hard rock and rap I look like a geek. I like them better than the senn mx400. But there is a problem with the ex-70 if for example I'v tried the ksc50 ( that I return because I like the sound but I feel like they gonna fall off every time I have small ear and glass so earclip doesn't work very well )and switch to ex-70 they sound all wrong and very badly wrong.Another thing do the tape mod. just put a tape to cover the 3 hole on the back of your ex-70 they sound better this way.

So conclusion ex-70 very good if you don't have anything quality to compared to because they are way too bassy. Also it's depending on the song sometime you have one that doesn't like they way the Ex-70 are equalise and sound very weird not the good enphasis on the good tone.

[Off topic whinning] Sigh when I think that if I haven't been so stupid 2 year ago I could still have my Grado SR-80 instead of those Ex-70[/Off Topic Whinning]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back