Newbie needs recs from the experts - exercise headphones
May 10, 2004 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TCStuckey3

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I know this has been asked numerous times in the past, but I wanted to hear y'all's thoughts on my specific situation. Sorry for any repeating.

I'm looking for a good set of phones for <$100 to use for jogging. I jog on a treadmill, so noise isolation is not an issue... in fact, isolation is preferable to drown out the treadmill itself. I've been using a basic set of Sony MDR-A35 in-ear phones, but the problem is one of my ear canals is obviously smaller than the other because as I get sweaty, combined with the motion of running, one side starts slipping out repeatedly while the other stays put. So, I'm looking for a set that stays in place, is comfortable, and hopefully also sound better than my basic Sony's. Thanks in advance for your help.

-T

May 10, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 6
Since this is only for exercise, how about the sony EX71? They're light, got bass (to provide your workout's energy), don't use foams which tend to collect sweat, don't leak sound.

May 10, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 6
I use Etymotic SR-6's for workout.

Good points:
1. Light and inconspicuous.
2. Blocks ambient noise by like 20 db so you do not have to play as loud saving your hearing
3. About $100.00 on e-bay
4. Pretty high sound quality. Almost Stax like clarity.
5. They stay in the ear well.

Bad points:
1. A little lean in the bass department. Really needs a bit of a "goose" in the bass department.
2. Some modern CDP's and MP-3 players may not have enough juice to power these things. Might need an amp to sound acceptable to you.
3. You need to get used to them and how they sound. You may not be impressed at first but as you use them you may become more impressed. Kind of like mushrooms, wine, or cheese; an acquired taste.
4. Microphonics on the cable. The cable is pretty light and there is a clip that helps. This may not be as big an issue on the treadmill as it is in the wide open spaces.

IMHO Ety's are good 5-4.

p.

May 10, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 6
koss ksc-35's will stay put, sound good but will also soak up some sweat. this doesn't necessarily mean they'll break down , I had a pair last 2 years on me before I had to retire them because something broke off on them.

shure e2c's are another in-ear option that will get around the sweat issue but cost you a bit more. they'll also stay put once properly placed. they'll also isolate you from outside noise, which is not something you're specifically looking for but might be an added benefit. sometimes that kind of isolation can help zone you out and focus you on what you're doing physically. isolation also means having to crank the volume less to get the same perceived loudness (in that you don't have to overcome background noise). this is good for your hearing in the long run. ksc-35's don't isolate as well.

both will sound better than the sony's you're using.

May 10, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 6
When I excercise which is less than I would prefer. I use modded Koss plugs. They do everything the more expensive canal phones do but cheaper. And I'm just listening to pass the time. If I get perturbed by their quality I up the volume and try to listen just the music. If you want cheap isolation and are more concerned about working out then I"d recommend the modded Kioss's.

PS--You'll get a lot of recommandations for more expensive headphones but unless you are looking for the best while moving around I say get koss plugs and Mod em.

May 10, 2004 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 6
Another vote for the EX71's, here. They work very effectively on a stationary bike exercyle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back