Newbie needs help
Mar 7, 2018 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tidytrev

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm taking my first step into some decent headphones, I'm coming from some cheap and cheerful cans and I'm on a budget of £150 for headphoes/amp I know that's not much but it's all I have.
I'l be listening to a wide range of music and gaming with them, I had my heart set on the Beyer dt990 250ohm and a fiio e10k amp and that fit nicely into my budget but if read a lot of conflicting reviews on the combo with most saying the amp won't drive them to there potential.
Any input and suggestions is highly appreciated

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 7
It's true that it won't drive the headphones to their **full** potential. But 250 ohms is not too much for e10k. It should be a nice starting combo if you want to go portable.

Plus this leaves improvement opportunities for the future ... :)

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Alternatively, see if you can stretch your budget by buying used or open box

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Thank you, anyone got suggestions in the £50 region for something better amp wise? I don't want to have to sacrifice the dt990s just because I can't afford a super expensive amp

Mar 7, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 7
Topping NX4, though this is a bit over budget. If it doesn't have to be portable, I would consider the Bravo v2 tube amp.

Mar 7, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 7
I don't know about better, but if you need something a bit more powerful, for less money, and you don't mind it being an amp only (no DAC), the Walnut F1 is very cheap and will drive pretty demanding headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back