Newbie needs help with EQ settings E500
Sep 8, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #16 of 21
Perfect! Just what I need I guess.

I loaded Rockbox yesterday and haven't had time to dig into the manual.
As soon I have tested this option I will let you know.

Thanks for your time!

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #17 of 21
I am not certain of what your beef with the soubd is, but if its dark/dull, you could try the clear tips. On my E5c:s, using the triflange is like asking for a very muddy sound. Switching to the clear tips tigthens up the bass considerably, together with bringing out the mids and highs. This results in a sound that might not be the most refined (like a DT880 for example), but certainly is damn fun. Quite fast and indeed impactful bass, an upfront midrange with a nice bite for guitars, topped with a not exactly elegant and uncoloured, but definetely there, treble, if perhaps a little subdued. The sound might be a little on the dark side, but it is certainly not dull, as there is plenty of agression (and perhaps harshness) in it.

It might work for you too
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #18 of 21
I totally agree with you that the clear tips are by far the best sounding/most comfortable. The only problem is that I use them most of the time traveling in a noisy environment. The 3-flange gives me the best isolation.

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
I would add that EQing a colored headphone doesn't mean coloring the sound, but in fact making it more neutral.

It was with Tao's (saint.panda's) E500 that I got the feeling that the treble was a bit too soft, too underrepresented, so harder music lacked some bite and aggressiveness. From this experience I'd propose a slight treble increase. I'm not familiar with the X5, but my U3's EQ has frequency band designations such as 50, 200 Hz, 1, 3 and 14 kHz. Maybe +1 db at 3 kHz and +2 or +3 db at 14 kHz (just as basis or example) would do the trick, apart from the bass roll-off measures?

Hey, that's one very useful observation. I have to thank you for that unbiased perception to EQing. I admit that whenever I am "forced" to use my HJE50, a little EQing does help to make it sound more neutral as HJE50 tend to be a bit shrill on treble and recessed in bass. Now I don't feel quilty anymore EQing LOL!
600smile.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #20 of 21
Sorry for bumping this topic but after a week-end of extensively playing around with the (Rockbox) EQ settings I am very much confused and frustrated. Here are my thoughts:

Without EQ-ing the sound is incredible dull, dark and muddy. Bass is overwhelming the mids and the heights.
Isn't that odd? I mean, I thought (and read) that the sound(stage) of the E500 paired with the X5 should be almost excellent without EQ-ing?! I just don't get it. The sound is really bad(!) and I don't mean a tad.
I never had to use the EQ settings on my 3G iPod with my ER4p's and rather leave the EQ setting on the X5 off.
I am beginning to think that either there is something seriously wrong with my hearing and/or my X5/E500.
The only way to make the sound acceptable is to heavily tune the EQ. For example the Rockbox .cfg file that makes the sound less unacceptable looks like this:
eq enabled: on
eq precut: 70
eq band 0 cutoff: 110
eq band 0 q: 7
eq band 0 gain: 85
eq band 1 cutoff: 600
eq band 1 q: 10
eq band 1 gain: -25
eq band 2 cutoff: 2000
eq band 2 q: 10
eq band 2 gain: 0
eq band 3 cutoff: 12000
eq band 3 q: 10
eq band 3 gain: 34
eq band 4 cutoff: 16000
eq band 4 q: 7
eq band 4 gain: 45

Can someone please clarify the sound mystery for me?
Are there any other E500 owners how can comment on findings?
Is this normal?

Sep 11, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #21 of 21
Alright, a new week, new changes, new settings.
I turned off all sound 'enhancements' and equalizer.
Then I turned the BBE setting on '1' and there it was! The clarity was suddenly there. No more cotton wool in my ears but crisp 'n clear heights and beautiful bass.

I don't know what this BBE is or what it do exactly but I am very happy again!
I know it is not very Head-fi-like but this option on the X5 really rocks!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back