Newbie Needs Help With Amp/CDP
Jun 25, 2002 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Justins123

New Head-Fier
Well....I broke down I bought a pair of HD600s and after reading a bunch of threads I have a few questions. I hope you guys can help me out.
smily_headphones1.gif

From what I've read an amp is pretty much a must for the HD600s. At least to start out with, I plan on getting the Corda HA-1 and also replacement cables for the HD600s (Cardas or Equinox). Does this sound resonable to start out with? Or should I worry about the CDP before amp/cable?

Right now my CDP is a Sony DVP-S7700 DVD player. I have read that this is a decent transport, but I'm wondering if getting an Art DI/O for it makes sense? Or should I look into a new CDP? I'm not interested in SACD at this point. Also can I integrate the Art DI/O into my main stereo system as well? Right now it consists of a Denon receiver and Parasound amp. The S7700 is hooked up to the receiver by optical cable.

Thanks for the help!

Jun 25, 2002 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 5
If I were you I would look into a headphone amp first. If memory serves, that it is a reference dvd player (replaced the 7000, right?), and while perhaps not an ideal source for music, I'd guess it's pretty good. Maybe wait on the replacement cables for a bit and get used to the 600s a bit, if for no other reason than you might not be able to fully appreciate the difference the cable change makes without anything to compare it to.

Jun 25, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 5
well just my .02

great choice in headphones...

#1. get a good headphone amp.
#2. get a really good cd player
#3. replace the cables (cardas?)

can you make it to a world headphone tour??

matthew

Jun 25, 2002 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 5
I would have loved to check out the tour, but it looks like it has passed my city already.
frown.gif

I think what I might do is just get an amp and use that setup for a while. Maybe I will be happy with it or at the very least I'll be able to better appreciate the changes if I do decide to upgrade the CDP/cable.

Jun 26, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Wait with the cable, man, get an amp first and then consider getting a decent CDP. Replacement cable is much harder to appreciate than those other things.

(or it could be that I don't use HD600 much anymore)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back