Newbie needs help selecting a closed, over-ear headphone, preferably <$200
Oct 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #16 of 24
  Grab the 840 for $80 and be happy

The 940 is known for it's crappy build, also the 940 is Thin airy and DETAILED [from what I have heard], to the balanced Shure 840. So I've not heard the 940 but it's crummy build and price make me think... the 840 is the only Shure I shall be owning :3 

I found the Hp 100 to be built very well, I would ignore the scary pasta. The Sound Magics when they where NEW where well loved for a good reason, know that they are getting more popular, critics will emerage and horror stories along with that. Yea the Sound Magics and Sure 840 are both palstic, so do NOT go throwing it at a wall or dropping it on a daily basis. But if you can take care of a celluar Phone for  more than 3 months you should be fine. As both where, imo, built well. 

Still $80 for a LIGHTLY used Shure 840 is a super duper bargin, do confirm that it is in 100% working order, and has VERY minamal signs of use, at that price it's either a RIP off or a good deal. The SHure 840 is about $110 used, so $80 is close enough to be legit, just make sure that it is legit! 

Yeesh, that sounds worrying re: the 940.

Okie doke, I think I'll go with the 840 then!

+1

Just try to find a headphone for <$200 that doesn't have quite a bit of plastic in its construction.

For future reference, do they have this information in the blurb about the headphones? I just kind of assumed anything below $500ish was mostly plastic.

well you know there is the Beyer... Just kidding

yea don't worry about it. I'm the guy who used to smash $20 sony cans in a week... so SINCE then I've yet to break any of the Mid Fi cans, the Sound Magics and Shure 840 both felt solid to me

Although keep in mind the 840 is on the heavy side, where as the Hp 100 is lighter. I... just think of me as a Mule... thick neck and shoulders. I don't... or rather headphone weight does not bother me... at all... I mean dude I used to wear a 2lb pair of vintage panasonics. I will have to DIG in my Storage to find them but here is a refrance pic

My old Panasonics where TWICE as big as these :O trust me they where FREAKING huge. They had thier own Bass and Tweeter in each can, with an Amp for the woofer and tweeter respectivly... I mean dude... they where BIG

SO that said... yea I don't uinderstand "heavy headphones" like you normal ppl do

that said, I did notice the 840 where heavier than the Hp 100. it might not be an issue [as I didn't find it to be a big deal] so again just try em, if they are lightly used and for $80 at the VERY worst... you'll build some neck muscles ;3 [which the ladies like] so again go with the SHure  840, and if you are lucky they will sound good and give you a sexier neck xD 

Again, I'll try to follow through on the 840s then. I was able to keep my iPhone 4 in good enough shape for 2 years to sell it as like-new when I finally got a new phone, so I guess I'll be ok xD I never throw my technology cus it's so expensive haha, so no worries about headphone rage throws!

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #17 of 24
  Yeesh, that sounds worrying re: the 940.

Okie doke, I think I'll go with the 840 then!

For future reference, do they have this information in the blurb about the headphones? I just kind of assumed anything below $500ish was mostly plastic.

Again, I'll try to follow through on the 840s then. I was able to keep my iPhone 4 in good enough shape for 2 years to sell it as like-new when I finally got a new phone, so I guess I'll be ok xD I never throw my technology cus it's so expensive haha, so no worries about headphone rage throws!

Yea than you should be fine man! And best of all, if for some reason you HATE the Shure 840, you'll have a little extra cash to maybe pair it with a amp or Portable Music player that better compliments it

BASICALLY, Point and Case, get it and njoy it. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #18 of 24

I would worry more about build quality than whether or not the headphones have plastic in their construction. There are polymers that are very strong; there is metal that will dent or bend very easy. I used to have Ultrasones that were mostly some kind of plastic, and they were extremely durable.

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #19 of 24
I would worry more about build quality than whether or not the headphones have plastic in their construction. There are polymers that are very strong; there is metal that will dent or bend very easy. I used to have Ultrasones that were mostly some kind of plastic, and they were extremely durable.

Yea that too, Ultrasones Flag Ship are made of plastic, and they are apparently very tough as well 

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #20 of 24
they certainly sound great for rock but he was looking for closed cans, i would highly recommend the shure 840's and the 380 pro's i liked them a fair amount for metal and rock, just my opinion 

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #21 of 24
  they certainly sound great for rock but he was looking for closed cans, i would highly recommend the shure 840's and the 380 pro's i liked them a fair amount for metal and rock, just my opinion 

agree'd I also recommended the Shure 840 

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #23 of 24
  Thanks for the help everyone; looks like i'm going with the Shure SHR840s!

Do enjoy them! Let us know how you like them as well :D 

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #24 of 24
Hey everyone,
So my original seller backed out, so I wasn't able to get it for $80 like I'd originally hoped ><

I was able to pick up a new set for $126 though, and they just got here today. I ended up second-guessing myself a bit back since there was a deal for ~$100 for new AT-M50s, but I also realized I wanted a headset with a removable cable if possible, so ended up sticking with the SRH-840s. Trying them out right now, and initially extremely underwhelmed, but enjoying them very much now. Very crisp snare drums and highs (at least to my untrained ears), which I'm really liking. There's also much better spread of sound in general; I feel like I'm in a room with directional sound or something instead of low-end stereo coming just left/right. Will update more later, but very pleased so far!

How long am I supposed to burn these in for again? 100-200 hours, I heard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back