Newbie needs help on confirming benchmark DAC1 version.
Sep 25, 2004 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

d1no

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I have been reading this forum for some time and consider here the greatest place to seek information.

Here is the question.
I bought a second-hand benchmark DAC1 recently and the former owner said it to the new 24/192 model while I only found 24/96 on the manual. So how could I tell if it's the new 24/192 model? (someone told me that you can tell it from the front panel)

Added.
Here is a photo of it.
DAC1.jpg

Thanks.

Sep 25, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 12
So what do you think of it ? I'm sure one of the people around here who own the dac1 will be able to help yah.

Sep 25, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the answers.

The package of the DAC1 says it's a 192 ver but the manual is for the 96 ver. I really can tell which is right because it is a second hand and the man who sold it to me could have replaced something. Although he told me I can tell the version from the panel(satin panel for the new model and glossy panel for the old one), I have never seen either of them so can't tell which is my panel.

Think I'd better contact the service team of benchmarkmedia.

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by d1no
Thanks for the answers.

The package of the DAC1 says it's a 192 ver but the manual is for the 96 ver. I really can tell which is right because it is a second hand and the man who sold it to me could have replaced something. Although he told me I can tell the version from the panel(satin panel for the new model and glossy panel for the old one), I have never seen either of them so can't tell which is my panel.

Think I'd better contact the service team of benchmarkmedia.

The serial number on the box should match the serial number on the bottom of the DAC1. It should be the 192 khz version because they were still shipping it with the revision F manual that says 96 khz. You can download the revision G manual from their site.

Sep 27, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Thanks for the answers.

The package of the DAC1 says it's a 192 ver but the manual is for the 96 ver.

I got my DAC1 straight from Benchmark, in February, and it's the same thing. Package says 192 and the manual says 96. I suppose I have the 192Khz version, but with no 192Khz source I can't tell for sure. Maybe the new manual was still in print when it shipped?

To be honest, I don't really care. If 96Khz is good for all those mastering engineers that those rave reviews are from, it's definitely good for me as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's the satin version

And here's the older, glossy one

Sep 28, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zum
I got my DAC1 straight from Benchmark, in February, and it's the same thing. Package says 192 and the manual says 96. I suppose I have the 192Khz version, but with no 192Khz source I can't tell for sure. Maybe the new manual was still in print when it shipped?

To be honest, I don't really care. If 96Khz is good for all those mastering engineers that those rave reviews are from, it's definitely good for me as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's the satin version

And here's the older, glossy one

Thank you zum.
From the pictures you provided, I think I got the old ver.
frown.gif
(I judged that by
the shape of "DAC1" on the panel). While, just as you said, I'm also quite satisfied with the sound quality, so I think I can live with that.
BTW, do you have any plan to get an amp for you HD650?

Sep 28, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Thank you zum.
frown.gif
(I judged that by
the shape of "DAC1" on the panel). While, just as you said, I'm also quite satisfied with the sound quality, so I think I can live with that.

you do know that upgrading the DAC1 to current 192 standards is only $50 +postage
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Thank you zum.
frown.gif
(I judged that by

Could you open it up and look at which chips are inside?

The 192 khz version has the following. The receiver is the AK4114, the async sample rate convertor is the AD1896A, the DAC is the AD1853 followed by four 5532A opamps.

Sep 29, 2004 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Thank you zum.
frown.gif
(I judged that by

I suppose the DAC1 text is the same in both of them, the pictures are maybe taken in different light which causes the other one to look slimmer.

But indeed, only opening up the DAC1 will give the definite answer. I don't think it even voids the warranty, since some settings can be configurable only inside. I opened it once and don't remember having to break through any "Opening this will void the warranty" signs.

And yeah, I plan to get a decent dedicated amp. You could say I'm in transition from Prehead to something different - I sold the Prehead already and am still looking for the replacement... (Anyone got a spare 220V balanced RP5cav with stepped attenuator?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 2, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dip16dac
Could you open it up and look at which chips are inside?

The 192 khz version has the following. The receiver is the AK4114, the async sample rate convertor is the AD1896A, the DAC is the AD1853 followed by four 5532A opamps.

Thank for you information dip16dac. I opened the case and confirmed the chips inside. All matched you description. Well, though the async sample rate convertor has a AD1896, not the AD1896A on its cover, I think this won't change the result.
Quite happy now, lalala... (^_^)/V

Thanks to everyone.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back