newbie needs good isolating headphones.
Oct 30, 2001 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sage

New Head-Fier
hey y'all, just found this board.
i've got the senn 580's but i need something sealed and more portable. here's my criteria...i need something that offers good isolation for use at the library. i also need them to monitor my little bedroom studio (580s leak too much sound into the mic). i would also use them for airline travel. so, i've narrowed it down to the beyer 250's and the etymotics. two very different phones at different prices. i've heard they're both comfortable, durable, sound great, and offer good isolation. i know the ety's have better isolation (and sound?), but is it substantially better to justify the extra $100? i don't think i'd use the etys while walking around or jogging (wouldn't feel comfortable as they're so expensive and couldn't hear the car that's about to hit me!) please offer advice, and other product recommendations.

thanks!

Oct 30, 2001 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 16
Uhoh! I think you forgot the Sony MDR-V6s. They are great $80 studio monitoring phones. Great isolation, great sound, very durable. Lots of discussion on them if you search the archives. Recently made Stereophile recommended component list.

Oct 30, 2001 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 16
Actually, NO "closed" headphone will be good for jogging/running.

But the one headphone you didn't mention is the Sony MDR-V6 -- it would be perfect for the uses you listed.

Oct 30, 2001 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 16
is that shorthand for the mdrv600? or are they totally different? also, any good online stores that offer these? headphone.com doesn't carry sony. so, do they sound better than the beyer 250s? or is it better considering the price. oh, and thanks for the quick response!

Oct 30, 2001 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 16
No, the V6 is much better than the V600, and they are much different. DJMart carries them, it's where I got mine. Haven't heard the 250s, so no comments there. Also, the Etys are canalphones, so comfort is kinda hit or miss. However, they sound absolutely incredible,

Oct 30, 2001 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 16
Between what? The Etys have the best isolation. Dunno between the 250s and V6s...

Oct 30, 2001 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 16
The sonys are not too bulky by my standards... of course I'm comparing them to Senn and Koss and CD1700s...
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2001 at 6:16 AM Post #10 of 16
ooh, the sony's fold up?! can the earpiece swivel 180 degrees? i just did a search on them and i'm getting conflicting info about the design, are they supra or circumaural?

oh, i was comparing the beyer and the sony regarding the sound isolation.

Oct 30, 2001 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 16
the beyer offers a lot of isolation but the earcups do not swivel. They sound great and have a very linear frequency response, save for an elevated (although tight and accurate) bass response. I think they sound better than the V6's personally. As far as isolation goes, I think the beyer is better. I'm not sure. I don't have the V6 here to compare. I do think that the beyer is more comfortable due to the velour pads, but that can be fixed by putting the same velour pads on the V6's
smily_headphones1.gif
. The V6's have a better price/performance ratio, but if you're looking for the better headphone, the beyer is it IMO.

Oct 30, 2001 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

the beyer offers a lot of isolation but the earcups do not swivel. They sound great and have a very linear frequency response, save for an elevated (although tight and accurate) bass response. I think they sound better than the V6's personally. As far as isolation goes, I think the beyer is better. I'm not sure. I don't have the V6 here to compare. I do think that the beyer is more comfortable due to the velour pads, but that can be fixed by putting the same velour pads on the V6's . The V6's have a better price/performance ratio, but if you're looking for the better headphone, the beyer is it IMO.

I agree with Neruda that the Beyer 250 is probably a better headphone; however, they cost $100 more.

In terms of comfort, if you put the Beyer pads on the V6, they're pretty similar from the reports I've read.

The V6 have better isolation from the reviews I've seen.

The V6 earcups rotate 180 vertically (they flip up), rather than swiveling side-to-side.

Oct 31, 2001 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 16
Been there done that. Click here to read 27 responses for a thread on the exact same subject I started about 10 days ago. Sage, go ahead and read it, it's worth your time. I ended up with the Beyer 250-80's, but I'll let you decide. You will see the same people suggesting the same v6's, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back