Newbie needs cans rated to 5 HZ
May 27, 2005 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

craiger33

New Head-Fier
Hey Gang,

I'm WAY new to the whole upgraded headphones conversation, I've always used the 'stock' headphones with my CD player, mp3 player, watching DVDs and such... but I'm ready to upgrade now!

I've spent some time checking out the threads, and from what I've read I was going to start with some entry levels ones and then work my way up the line... like either the Grado 60's (or 80's) or the Senn HD 280's...

BUT I am listening to these sets of CD's that require my headphones to be able to handle a very low frequency, they need to be rated down to 5 HZ! These cans don't have that low a rating... I haven't done a ton or research, but the only ones I've found so far that go that low are the Sony MDR V600 & MDR V900 (don't know that the 900's are worth twice the price, especially since I'm just getting into the whole high-end headphones scene).

I'm suspecting some here will have an opinion: what do you suggest for someone just entering the experience of high end headphones, but needs something rated down to 5 HZ?

I'm comfortable spending between $100 & $150 (I'd go higher if I was convinced the money was well spent)...

Thanks for any suggestions and/or resources regarding this inquiry of mine!

May 27, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiger33
I'm sorry, I have NO IDEA what that means... do you have time to explain?

Thanks,

Maybe he means all cans go down there at -9283 (or whatever) db. Probably so quietly, that you can't hear it ............

Actually, it must have been a joke.

May 27, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 52
well, actually you can't hear frequencies bellow 15-20 Hz, the 5 Hz rating of those headphones (or any spekaer in fact) is pure marketing. you don't need headphones rated to 5 Hz because those signals are usually filtered.

May 27, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 52
I'm not a subwoofer expert, but i'm pretty sure any headphone, heck any speaker rating that claims said device is rated down to 5hz is garbage. That's hardly even sound at that frequency.. I mean, if you were to punch yourself on the arm 5 times a second, that rght there is 5hz..

Even mega fridge-sized subwoofers can only go to what, 15hz or so?

I'm just trying to make a joke, and i'm not an expert, but it's a marketing gimmick, and likely not suggestive of the bass strength, extention (how low) or quality.

May 27, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 52
well of course you won't be able to hear it conciously. I assume that this is some kind of aural hypnosis? Your brain will still pick up the sounds, regardless of volume (and -9258 or whatever is really ****ing loud)

May 27, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by fappar
(and -9258 or whatever is really ****ing loud)

i'm not an audio engineer, but my understanding of negative 9258 db is that it is a crazy exaggeration of inaudible. i hope i'm not off base with how frequency response measuring works, as i hate to look stupid. 5hz isn't audible, as has been stated. it can be felt, however, which is why i said "useable volume"
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #10 of 52
Yes, 5 Hz is crazy-low. You can practically move your hand back and forth at 5 Hz. In fact, isn't 5 Hz the lowest an elephant can hear? And they have huge ears. You can't hear 5 Hz - just feel it, right?

Since we've established that it's pretty much impossible for headphones to do that in a practical manner, let alone a fat subwoofer, perhaps we can help by telling Mr. Lowfier which headphones are known to limbo the lowest?

May 27, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiger33
Hey Gang,

I'm WAY new to the whole upgraded headphones conversation, I've always used the 'stock' headphones with my CD player, mp3 player, watching DVDs and such... but I'm ready to upgrade now!

I've spent some time checking out the threads, and from what I've read I was going to start with some entry levels ones and then work my way up the line... like either the Grado 60's (or 80's) or the Senn HD 280's...

BUT I am listening to these sets of CD's that require my headphones to be able to handle a very low frequency, they need to be rated down to 5 HZ! These cans don't have that low a rating... I haven't done a ton or research, but the only ones I've found so far that go that low are the Sony MDR V600 & MDR V900 (don't know that the 900's are worth twice the price, especially since I'm just getting into the whole high-end headphones scene).

I'm suspecting some here will have an opinion: what do you suggest for someone just entering the experience of high end headphones, but needs something rated down to 5 HZ?

I'm comfortable spending between $100 & $150 (I'd go higher if I was convinced the money was well spent)...

Thanks for any suggestions and/or resources regarding this inquiry of mine!

Don't believe those response specs! The MDR-V600, in particular, actually extends down to only about 75Hz! That's crap-tacular! And the MDR-V900 only extends down to 40-something Hz!

May 27, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #14 of 52
Nothing goes down to 5hz. If a bonafide subwoofer cannot go down that low, how can you expect a puny headphone to? It is not physically possible to extend to 5hz with a headphone. Like it was said, maybe at some sort of inaudible spl (very close to 0db).

If you are looking for high end headphone that MUST extend to 5hz, then you are lost. Specs mean nothing if it isnt based on concrete flatline response.

May 27, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #15 of 52
Im not even going to comment on most of your post.... since Im sure others will bring you up to speed.

Cans I have heard with good, low resonant Bass... IMHO

DT770-80
DT250-80
DT990
portapro
KSC75
K240s
SR225
HD580
MDR-CD870
MS2

Any of the above STOMP all over any Sony MDR-V### can.... in every way possible. Can be found used in the $150 price range... except possibly the 990.

Best advice i can give you is to demo as many cans as possible. No 2 people hear things the same so its in your best interest to use YOUR ears to guide you. ESPECIALLY for headphones... DONT shop by spec sheet. The only spec worth a darn in the sticker price. As you have found, spec sheet shopping will lead you to some utterly crappy sounding cans... or worse yet a Bose triport.

Oh yeah... welcome to the forum and sorry about your wallet.
Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back