Newbie needs advices. Closed circumaural headphones for psychedelic, rock and alternative.
Nov 4, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #16 of 30
Ok guys yesterday i used my friend's Beats Solo and i change my idea.
I don't like the sound. Maybe because the only headphones i've ever had are the 598's.
Now i start again to find a good cans....

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #17 of 30
I've finally make a decision :D
I increased my budget and i think i'm going to buy Denon 2000 on Amazon.uk.
Before to do that, in this range of budget is there something worth?
Sony XB 1000?

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #18 of 30
Denon D2000 - recessed mids (from the reviews I've read)

Why would you want recessed mids for the type of music you listen to?

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #20 of 30
It all depends on what you like. You seem to like rock, alt. rock and variations of rock. So you need a headphone that excels with mids and possible highs (guitar solos?). I don't know what closed back full-size headphones do this well, but you might want to take a look at Fischer Audio. I recall LFF saying something about them sounding spacious with full mids despite being closed back. http://www.head-fi.org/t/491632/review-fischer-audio-fa-003-a-neutral-champ

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #21 of 30

Quote:
It all depends on what you like. You seem to like rock, alt. rock and variations of rock. So you need a headphone that excels with mids and possible highs (guitar solos?). I don't know what closed back full-size headphones do this well, but you might want to take a look at Fischer Audio. I recall LFF saying something about them sounding spacious with full mids despite being closed back. http://www.head-fi.org/t/491632/review-fischer-audio-fa-003-a-neutral-champ

I don't think the Denons mids are recessed. Its the Denon 7000s mids that are more recessed and that is due to the them being treble happy. You of course should have a good source to drive them and one that adds to the mids will do them justice. Also doing the simple open back mod will take them to a whole new level. I own Denon 5000s with the open-back mod and they are in no way recessed in the mids. They are more mid-centric if you will.

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #23 of 30

Quote:
Guys what about Ultrasone HFI 780?
Are they good for my music? Are they circumaural?
Do i need an amp?

Thnaks!

Great choice, Alfonsomac! The 780s are circumaural, offer great bass with a generally balanced sound and will suit rock and similar styles beautifully.

I spent a lot of time listening to similar cans in the same price range recently and found the Ultrasones or the Shure SRH840s to be the best bang for buck. Based on what you've explained so far, I don't think you'd go wrong at all with Ultrasone HFI 780, Shure SRH840 or Audio Technica ATH- M50. All beautiful sounding cans that are well priced. Ultrasone has the best bass punch, M50s have the most balanced sound overall and the Shures have the warmest, smoothest mids, but they're all nicely balanced overall and the decision would come down to personal taste as to which one is actually "best".

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #24 of 30
Thans Loqnah for your advices!
I'll buy them today on Amazon uk and i've sen the little amp Fiio E5 costs only 15£. Does it worth?
However 780's cost the same of Denon ahd 2000, but for what i read Ultrasone are better.

Nov 5, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #25 of 30
I wasn't impressed with the Denon's when I listened to them - they felt a bit plastic and the sound wasn't very balanced. The Ultrasones are a much more balanced headphone with great bass and overall sound signature. They also feel better made to me. I think you'll be very happy!

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #28 of 30

Quote:
I can't comment on the E5. I don't think you'll NEED an amp to be happy with the sound, but you might find it improves the sound even more.

Perhaps someone else can provide some insight here.

Well generally amps can improve the sounds of headphones/IEMs but the E5 from fiio is relatively weak so its not really suited for headphones. I'm also wondering if you tested the Denon 2000s with an amp as they sound quite crappy without a decent amp, they are harder to drive. Sounds like your Ultra's are easy to drive.

Nov 5, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #29 of 30
Yeah, Denons weren't amped - thanks for letting me know about their need for extra juice. The Ultrasone HFI 580s and 780s are easy to drive. The only major difference being the 780s have tighter bass. The HFI 680s are a more neutral headphone, but need the extra juice to really shine.

For Alfonsomac, I think your best bet is to get the 780s first and then think about amplification later. You definitely won't need it with the 780s, but you've always got the option to add it later if you want.

Nov 5, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #30 of 30

Quote:
Yeah, Denons weren't amped - thanks for letting me know about their need for extra juice. The Ultrasone HFI 580s and 780s are easy to drive. The only major difference being the 780s have tighter bass. The HFI 680s are a more neutral headphone, but need the extra juice to really shine.

For Alfonsomac, I think your best bet is to get the 780s first and then think about amplification later. You definitely won't need it with the 780s, but you've always got the option to add it later if you want.

And the fact that the Denons are so easily modified and when done it makes such a huge difference on their sound. Its quite uncanny that Denon didn't produce these headphones as open-back as that is the key to making them sound much better. The mod is so simple it can be tested in less than 10 minutes time and it doesn't need to be made permanent, although I am making it permanent for sure. Not sure if you've ever heard the Sony EX1000s but with the mod the Denons remind me of those IEMs but everything is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back