Newbie needs advice re) headphone amp
Jul 4, 2002 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Hello All:

I'm brand new to this forum, so forgive me my violations of forum ettiquete:

I'm in the market for a new headphone amp. Eventually, I'll be acquiring Sennheiser HD-600's, but for now I'll be using my good old AKG K240's. My digital source is an MSB Link II DAC (Adcom 575 for transport), with a GW-Labs DSP to be added within the next week or so.

I want something that will handle a wide variety of music (classical, jazz, classic rock, alternative). I'm thinking that I might go with Musical Fidelity X-Cans V2 or maybe the ASL MG-Head OTL. I'm also curious what the feelings are about how these might stack up against some of the solid state competition (Creek, Headroom Little, etc...).

Could some of my more learned brothers and sisters lend a frustrated audiophile the benefit of their acquired wisdom? Thanks

Jul 4, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi elrod-tom, welcome to Head-Fi.

There countless threads debating the various preferences over tube amps vs. solid state amps. Being a past owner of the MG HeadDT and a current owner of a 2001 HeadRoom Max, my preference is for solid state. But, your are looking at a huge price differential. I haven't heard the HeadRoom amps that are in the price catagory of the Head, but many here really like the Little. I would also recommend that you consider the Meier Audio Corda HA-1. It is a solid state amp that many here find outstanding. Your best bet would be to search the forums and read opinions until you can't read anymore.

Good luck, and sorry about your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2002 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 4
It seems that the not many people care for the AKG sound out of the MG Head. I've not tried it myself and for the most part don't care for the AKG sound out of anything.

The MG Head/HD600 is an extremely popular combination on HeadFi. With the right tubes and "OTL mode", I find it to be very nice myself. However, I had one or two quips about its lacking extension and speed that made me choose the Corda HA-1 at the same pricepoint. The MG Head's sweet midrange and lush real vocals were lost as opportunity costs. You can't have everything at that price (if at any) so you have to prioritize your wants. For my taste, I cannot recommend the MG Head/HD600 if your preference is complicated orchestra or progressive music. On the other hand, most solo instruments and jazz vocals are quite nice.

Jul 11, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, after doing some extensive reading in this forum, I went in a completely different direction...and bought a Little. I like that it's upgradeable (premium module & more power).

First impressions are very positive, although my AKG 240's seem a bit warm. Maybe I"m just used to the harshness from my headphone jack on my preamp.

Now I need to get some new headphones. Eventually, I want both the Sennheiser 600's and Grado 225's. Anyone aware of any problems with either of these in combo with the Little??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back