Newbie needs advice (AKG?)
Jan 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HenryL

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

I am a student looking for new headphones. Right now I am using Sony MDR-V150's which are too common around here, it's almost like everyone with headphones has these ones... But I'm happy with them generally, although I've had a pair break and the wire is too long...

I did a little research around my area and I found a store called Moog Audio. Looking at the headphones section, I see a brand called AKG. So I did a little more research and I found the K 518 LE. I like the striking colors, but can't decide on which one. It doesn't really matter anyway, I'll be going to the store to try them out. I believe they sit on the ears like the V150's I have... But I've felt the tightness on the V150's fade away after a while. It may just be wear and tear, or

What are people's experiences with these headphones? I listen to trance and happy hardcore music (dj ravine, dj cotts)... and I use my iPod nano 3G usually. I ride a train and a bus to go to school, and it's pretty loud. sometimes I have to really raise my volume to hear my music. So... Will the AKG's have decent sound insulation? Also, I sometimes don't like people hearing what I'm listening to...

So I think the AKG's are a good choice as I did not hear of them before and I've never seen anyone with them before. What else is there for $100-ish?

Also how are people's thoughts on the pivots? They look like they could break...

Thanks,
Henry

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 7
K518DJ are a ton better than Sony v150 IMO. They are one of my favourite semi-portables, the bass hits very hard on these, subwoofer effect on your ears, but they still have clarity and smoothness in some way. Comfort is not good at first as they clamp like hell, but the headband is made of metal, so you can gently stretch it a bit as I've done, greatly reducing the comfort issue. You'd not be worried about breaking them, as they're very strong built, and noise blocking is very good.
I still have my V150 somewhere around, but I don't remember the last time I've used them. Well, I clearly remember how bad sounding they are...

Best regards
K.

Jan 17, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 7
The K518 is the same headphone as the K81Dj but in different color schemes. The K81 is very well-respected around these parts and a personal favorite of mine. The build quality is great but they can clamp a little hard. You may need to stretch the headband over some books to make the fit looser. Other sets to consider may be the JVC HA-M750 and Sennheiser PX200-II.

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks, I'll pick up a pair when I can.

Or should I get some buds? I remember owning some skullcandy's which were really uncomfortable, and they always fell out of my ear when doing anything... Same with the iPod headphones.

What do people think of the shure SCL2 in clear? That looks neat... Not sure what AKG has in the buds category... I'll do some research.

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 7
I definitely recommend going to IEM's, There so much more practical when traveling. It fits what you want perfectly IMO, no one can hear them, there cheap (well for most people), and really portable.

If your worried about fit get some that have Foam tips, you wont even feel them in your ear.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 7
I have however gotten used to the MDR's... and at least they won't fly off my head or anything..

btw is the snug fit on the AKG's really... snug? Or is it more of the uncomfortable, "squeeze your head" type snug?

and I'm checking out the thread now, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back