Newbie needs a mp3 player!!!
May 30, 2004 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

adamwillson001

New Head-Fier
Hi, i am 16 and have a lot of music. i started off with the simple 128mb mp3 player, as we all do. But i am now comming to terms with how much music i have. i am going to buy a mp3 player soon and need it to be a least 20gb
(i can afford it)i am thinking about the iaudio m3 but i have heard abt the remote problems, i like the idea of the ipod but hear abt the battery and music licence problems. My ideal mp3 player would have 20gb and an FM tuner. Please tell me if im wrong as these are rumers.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of mp3 player i should get, as well as if i sould get the ipod or m3. i know that ipod is the best but im one of those guys that like to be different and go for something else.

Can anyone help me.

May 30, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 7
out of the full-size players i've tested here's my top 10 favorites:

1. Rio Karma
2. Creative Nomad Jukebox 3
3. Dell DJ
4. Creative Zen Xtra
5. Apple iPod v.3
6. Apple iPod v.2
7. Gateway DMP-X20
8. iRiver iHP-100/120/140
9. Xclef HD-800
10. Philips HDD100

May 30, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 7
The iAudio M3 has had a few problems with the remote since its release a few weeks ago. This is a shame because the remote is required to operate most of the functions, as it has no on player display.

If you really need the FM tuner and 20Gb then the iRiver iHP-120 would fit the bill. It has 16 hour battery life, FM tuner, line in and out (optical and analogue), recording to wav and mp3, built in microphone for dictation. It does pretty much rely on searching by folders like on your computer as the database (iD3 tag) method is currently weak. iRiver have said they are going to add on-the-fly playlists, gapless playback, and on-the-fly delete in the next few weeks, but they are still awaited. Good news is this has come down in price because a new range of players is due for release that add colour screen and USB on-the-go. If you want a simple music player and not a photo viewer then stick with the cheaper iHP-120. Take a trip to Misticriver for more information.

If you can go without the FM tuner then I would recommend looking at the Karma. It has good user interface, 15 hour battery life, gapless playback, ethernet link, line out via the dock, Rio DJ (smart playlists on-the-fly). It does lack the radio and recording facilities. There may be some issues with reliability so if you buy in the US make sure to extend the paltry 90 day warranty with an extended one. For more info on the Karma see the nice people at Riovolution.

If you can cope with the battery life then do consider the iPod it has a good user interface, nice controls, etc. My feeling is the Karma has surpassed the iPod in terms of playback features, but the iPod still has a wide range of accessories.

Beyond this there are other players like the Creative Zen, XClef 800, Dell DJ which might be worth a look, but the iRiver iHP-120 does meet your criteria.

Do a little more searching before paying your money.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 7
i really like my ipod. and i really like the iriver.

Not at all a fan of rio, mostly becasue i had there first MP3 player, and they were real jerks about customer service. and i just dont like the zen at all, its cheap sure, but its ugly and its huge. my pocket space is valuble, with a cell phone, ipod, headphones, keys, wallet, and sometimes digital camera.

but unless your going to buy some really nice headphones, its really just a matter of preference.

May 30, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 7
is fm radio ur only additional concern other than playing music? do u need any specific file support? i love my dell, but it has no line-out and only supports mp3 and wav. i actually only have mp3s, so that is not a problem, and i dont have enuf room to carry around an amp, so that again is not a problem. as for fm radio, dell released a remote not too long ago wich has a display, fm radio, and fm recording. the dell is a solid player and is relly easy to use. however, this may actually end up costing more than an ihp player, as the remote is seperate for the dell, whereas the ihp includes it.

May 31, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 7
i've owned a iRiver 256mb, a samsung yepp, a 3G 30gb ipod, and now a blue ipod mini. the mini is the perfect combination of size and storage, and the battery life on mine has been better than on my 30gb. although it doesn't have the FM tuner you want, i'd go for the mini (if you can get your hands on one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back