Newbie Need Help: NetMD versus HD MP3?
Apr 3, 2003 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TCC-2k7

New Head-Fier
Hey all...
Just finished registering after lurking around for about a month, picking up info here and there. Anyways, I'm really starting to get tired of CDs (mostly their size), and am looking to replace them with something more portable. I will keep my headphones which are Senn PX200s which seem to be burning in quite nicely.
Basically, it's coming down to waiting a few months and getting an iPod (at least a 10GB, so $400), or getting a Sony NetMD for $130 and just buying discs. What sort of experience do people have with MD and MP3? Can you put mp3s onto a MD disc? How many can it hold? What's the sound quality/compression like? Beyond all the advertising, how does NetMD really work?
I know this is a lot of questioning for a first post, but any and all help would be much appreciated.
Thanks...

Apr 3, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 18
Well I'm too lazy to answer all of your questions fully but here's my stab at it...
It probably comes down to whether you think you need 10 gb of MP3 on hand at all times or if 2-3 albums in SP2 mode per MD blank will suffice. IMO, I don't need 17,567 minutes of music at my fingertips because I'm never away from home for 17.567 minutes at a time.

You can fit about 30 songs or so (160 minutes) in SP2 mode on one MD blank.

Sound quality of MD is TOP NOTCH. Beyond any PCDP currently out there and it bests or equals the quality of MP3 players. (Note MD headphone outs are generally not as powerful (I.E. they don't go as loud)) Sharps tend to sound a bit better than Sony and each company's new models with digital amps are reportedly fantastic.

In a portable environment and on your PX200's, SP2 mode would be pretty much indistinguishable from a standard stereo song on a MD (IMO).

NetMD is great for me. There's some good programs and methods out there that get around Sony's crappy OpenMG software. It takes about 10 minutes per album in SP2 mode.

MD is more rugged than MP3 HD. Period.

I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around with a $400 piece of hardware.

I am a big fan of MD.
smily_headphones1.gif

What else do you want to know?

Apr 3, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by stallion11msu

That right there sums up why I returned to the wonderful world of MD myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by stallion11msu
It probably comes down to whether you think you need 10 gb of MP3 on hand at all times or if 2-3 albums in SP2 mode per MD blank will suffice. IMO, I don't need 17,567 minutes of music at my fingertips because I'm never away from home for 17.567 minutes at a time.

its not about listening to it ALL.
rolleyes.gif
it's about being able to choose from your entire collection, whenever you want, wherever you are. I don't feel like carrying around 1,000 MD's, doesn't seem very convenient to me. and I can't predict what I'll want to listen to later.

Quote:

Sound quality of MD is TOP NOTCH. Beyond any PCDP currently out there and it bests or equals the quality of MP3 players. (Note MD headphone outs are generally not as powerful (I.E. they don't go as loud)

The output quality of Nomad Zen, for instance, is 96db SNR, with 100mw output. iPod also sounds great, and 60mw output.

Quote:

*shrug* I take my iPod mountain biking, like today. No problem. Is that rugged enough?

Quote:

So... uh, put in your pocket? Seems to work for me.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

So... uh, put in your pocket? Seems to work for me.

I lose **** easily. Stuff gets dropped (clumsy hands). Thieves will steal ANYTHING and EVERYTHING if given the chance.

Quote:

I take my iPod mountain biking

Last time I went mountain biking I went head over handlebars and barrel-rolled down a rocky and tree root-laden hill. I also ran chin first into a tree and careened into the surrounding forest...I wouldn't risk an iPod in that situation. (Note: I suck at mountain biking)

Quote:

its not about listenig to it ALL. duh. it's about being able to choose from your entire collection, whenever, and wherever you want. I don't feel like carrying around 1,000 MD's, doesn't seem very convenient to me.

So chose what you want to listen to that day an hour before you go out and record away.

Apr 3, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 18
I'm definitely in the hard disk mp3 player or CD player camp. See less a need for MD except in specific situations (gym, etc.) Compression is about compromise and I like the control of mp3s over atrac, but there are others that certainly disagree with me.

You may want to check out this recent post- http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=29665

For the best sound go CD. For lots of music with high quality recording go mp3.

Also you may want to check out http://www.hydrogenaudio.org for compression info.

Apr 3, 2003 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 18
OK, it's true, if you drop anything, it might break, including MD. Same goes for if you fall on it. Are MD decks sturdier? Sure, but like I said, I can go biking with mine so the differences are not enough to make a real difference except in the most extreme cases.

Too expensive? Archos MP3 players units can be found for $175 or less. And no minidiscs to buy. Last time I checked MiniDisco most of the MD decks were about that. Load it up once. No need to figure out what your gonna listen to later, which MD's to bring, etc..

Anybody can steal anything, sure. So whats the point of taking anything out of the house?!

Apr 3, 2003 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 18
Stallion you have to remember that when Austonia says he goes mountain biking that he lives in Kansas! That's not real mountain biking
biggrin.gif

You couldn't take any HDD player mountain biking here in Vancouver, but then again I doubt an MD would hold up either. You're probably stuck with a lousy flash player, but I wouldn't want to have any music distracting me while I'm riding a 4" wide piece of wood that's 20 feet off the ground. One wrong move and you're visiting the doctor. Make sure you stick that landing properly!

Even on Singletrack, I wouldn't want to be listening to music and not hear an approaching bear! I suppose if you sang to the music it would scare away the bear though
biggrin.gif

TCC - I think both options are good and you'll get fans of both camps arguing hard why their choice is better. I think you need to be a little more specific on how you intend to use the player before you'll get more useful suggestions. If you plan on exercising with the player then MD has an advantage. If you're the type who likes to hit random play and hear a song you may not have heard in months then the HDD system is better.

If you travel a lot and battery life is an issue then MD has an advantage, if you don't want to spend the time putting together discs then HDD is better suited to you.

Apr 3, 2003 at 7:52 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog
Let me ask you if you would take your iPod or HDD player when you're riding like this!

http://www.covebike.com/article.php?itm=68

I think either an Apple iPod or Sony MD would play fine for another 1.4 seconds.

Apr 3, 2003 at 7:59 AM Post #11 of 18
OK I admit it the trails here are kinda wimpy, but it's enough for me.
biggrin.gif
There are a few rough ones and I don't usually take the iPod on singletrack rides, but it's great for trail riding and we have an extensive trail system here. For singletrack I may get one of those 512mb iRiver players, because like MD, it would be more durable when I go over my handlebars and land on it. Some players can do Type II compactflash and 1gb cards are only ~$225 now so that's another option.

Apr 3, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
OK I admit it the trails here are kinda wimpy, but it's enough for me.
biggrin.gif
There are a few rough ones and I don't usually take the iPod on singletrack rides, but it's great for trail riding and we have an extensive trail system here. For singletrack I may get one of those 512mb iRiver players, because like MD, it would be more durable when I go over my handlebars and land on it. Some players can do Type II compactflash and 1gb cards are only ~$225 now so that's another option.

Yeah, I'm eyeing a flash player when 1gb cards become more affordable. $225 may not be much for you guys, but in Canada that price is not available and with exchange we're paying over $400 for that same card.

TCC I know this probably doesn't help you but I own a flash player and an MD. I plan on adding a HDD player as well. Each player has it's strengths over the others, so I want all types all I'll use the player appropriate to the situation
wink.gif
- Besides like most Head-Fi'ers I love to collect equipment
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #13 of 18
OK I found 1gb flash cards by Sandisk for around $200 shipped on ebay, and NEX IIe players for around $90 shipped. So there's a 1gb player at less than $300.

I'm really tempted EXCEPT... iRiver IGP-100 is very close...

Apr 3, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
For singletrack I may get one of those 512mb iRiver players, because like MD, it would be more durable when I go over my handlebars and land on it.

Hehehehe, that's sensible - especially since a 512MB flash-based MP3 player can hold practically as much music as the amount that most people actually burn on their 700MB CD-Rs.

Apr 3, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 18
Thanks for replying...
I basically am tired of lugging CD players around because of their size. MDs are getting pretty cheap, and NetMD seems like a solid compromise between CD/MD and MP3, which is why I asked about it. I intend to have this be my portable music player, and it will become the only one; it'll basically go with me everywhere, from class to just hanging around campus. I'm just unsure as to how much each MD can hold? Are they just mini CDs, or can they hold multiple hours of MP3s like a HD player?
What's the low-down on ATRAC and LP? Could I transfer a 2 hours live DJ set from mp3 to MD? Would that probably take up a whole disc? And is NetMD compatible with Mac OS X? I'm using a PC right now, but my father wants to get me a PowerBook G4 as a graduation present (he loves Apples)... If I bought a NetMD now, would I still be able to use it in the same way on the Mac? If I can't, then I'm going to probably just wait and get an iPod...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back