Newbie loves Symphonic Music
Oct 19, 2006 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Eedwhatever

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
i listen to symphonic (not classical) music mainly.
i've tried altec and SHURE E3Cs
they're not that great for symphonic stuff.
any recomendations for symphonic stuff?
protable or not is ok.

so now i shouldn't go for in-ear's right? eh?
do the E3Cs worth or do the E5C worth their price?
or should i not even think about these...

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 19
I'm leaning heavily toward Sennheiser HD600 to snuggle right in there next to my MS2i for symphonic and pipe organ duties.

There are a couple of others which may be better for a wider range of music types; but I really like what I'm hearing about the HD600.
600smile.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 19
what are you normally looking for in symphonic head phones. aka high, mid, low, brightness or whatever. Sorry i'm not exactly sure what i'm talking abou myself.

Oct 19, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 19
well its basically NOT rock / hip-hop...
lol, i'm not sure how to explain tis but. i want good detail with good reasonance with soft but not weak bass.....
i wanna hear layings but not too tinnny sounding...
yes.me.newbie
i love symphonice music.
anyone knows wt i'm talking about? thx

Oct 19, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 19
how does the akg 81 stand as symphonic?

Oct 19, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 19
you probably want something with a huge soundstage, so I wouldn't go with in ear phones.

Oct 19, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 19
I know that I do this alot around here, but I would recommend the Sennheiser HD-590. I listen to mainly Symphonic music as well, and find them very enjoyable; detailed, good treble and solid bass, and the mids are there as well. Also, amazing soundstage to them, meaning, they sound very open and spacious.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ap3rtis
you probably want something with a huge soundstage, so I wouldn't go with in ear phones.

Well Sensas can do it, no doubt UE10's as well, the problem is those are custom fit and cost, which judging from the OP's other latest thread, wouldn't be cool.

Etys and Shures just aren't going to cut it for symphonic stuff. You need something with a somewhat approaching realistic attack and decay, and instruments need to sound like themselves with a somewhat approaching realistic way of not overhyping parts of the dynamic range that wouldn't be like that in real life. Oh yeah, and a big soundstage.

HD650's with upgrade cable of your choice comes to mind, but you'd need the source and amp to back it. Ditto dt990. The only headphone I can think of that doesn't need some monster driving it would be the a900's. If you don't mind loosing detail, I'd put the AKG 240s over the a500's. No, somehow I think this is yet another "you need a900's or a source/amp upgrade" thread.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 19
The E500 can actually do symphonic works pretty well. I'm currently listening to Tchaikovsky No.4 (Berliner Philharmoniker/Karajan) and was listening to Mahler No.2 (Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Solti). The sound is really very rich. The highs sort of rise above the rest of the sound spectrum for some reason. Soundstage is pretty good for an IEM with a good sense of depth, but little in the way of a wide soundstage.

*dons flame-proof suit*
I've also realised that my E500 have sorta evolved sound-wise. There's much better instrument separation and the highs are more detailed and extend a bit more. The smoothness is still there, but there seems to be a slight increase in detail. The bass is better controlled, but they're still nice and rich. Could this be burn-in?
evil_smiley.gif

BTW, I love symphonies. I don't mind whether its Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Bruckner, Mahler, Nielsen or Shostakovich, I love 'em all!

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #15 of 19
OMG
can u tell me more??!?!?!?!?!

ok, people have been telling me that
IEMs aren't that good for symphs and i shouldget an opened-ear one. yes i will soon, but which one should i be looking for?
well IEM is for protable use...which i use alot!
how good are the E500s compared to the other ones?
and i have the E3c now and i think all they have is good isolation... "good"" isolation.
i dun hear the 'motion' of the music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back