Newbie(?) looking to delve into the world of MD
Mar 20, 2003 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

zyphaz

Head-Fier
Hi all, after some debating between solid state MP3 players and MD players I think I've pretty much decided I want to go the MD route mainly due to cost. As a previous owner of an original Sony R50 back in 98-99 or so I've always wanted to purchase a 2nd MD player (first one was a casualty of a carwash). Needless to say I'm pretty much oblivious to what has changed since then.

I could go on and on about how I've pretty much resorted to listening to talk radio and almost abandoning music at leisure all together, but I'll save everyone the nonsense
wink.gif
I mention this because I'm looking only to spend a maximum ~$100 (used of course) for now, and if I fall back in love with MD's and convenient music listening I'll take the full plunge later on.

I've done some reading on various forums across the net and have come to the conclusion that my old R50 is still seen as a great classic player/recorder. I've also read that the Sony R37 is a good entry level player/recorder as well? I've also had my eye on the Sony n505, although I'd really love to have the microphone input option. I've read to a point some opinions about Sharp MD players, but it looks like every unit that anyone recommends is out of my price range for now. Do they offer any mentionable older models?

I also have a few questions about the NetMD link that the newer players/recorders provide. I read on the minidisc.org Faq that the USB link only allows for 2nd level quality recordings. How does this compare to what my original R50 had at the time? And/or is it a noticable difference for a casual listener like me? The ability to record to MD at faster than real time is certainly appealing.

Thanks,
Jon

Mar 20, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 26
Dont you think you could spend $30 more and hunt down a new Sharp sr60? It may be worth it. i have read good things about them and I personally prefer Sharp to Sony for portable MD. I had a MS702 and it sounded gorgeous. Wish it still worked to compare it to my 831.

Check the gear for sale forum here, I think apar111 is selling an mt180 for under $100?? correct me if I am wrong.

There are other deals to be had here. this is where i got my 831 and am happy with my purchase so far. I got a good unit and I dont think the members here will want to rip you off if they want to sell other stuff so it should be legitimate, if that is what you are worried about.

D

Mar 20, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 26
Thanks guys, I just PM'd secretasianman about a N707 he has for sale. Hopefully it isn't sold yet! Needless to say I'm excited
cool.gif

Edit: I really appreciate the suggestions about the Sharp Mt180 but I really would love to have a mic input so it can double as a recorder.

Dudlew, if the deal falls through I'm reading about the SR60 right now thanks for the pointer.

Mar 20, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 26
Check www.ubid.com they had MZ-N505's for $79 plus shipping brand new.

You'd get MDLP (mini disc long play modes) and NetMD for faster than real time transfers.

A great deal if they're still available.

Mar 20, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 26
If I had to buy a used model, and was loking for something that sounded great and was built like a tank, I'd go for a Sony MZ-R50 or a Sharp MS-722 or MS-702MK.

Mar 22, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 26
Congratulations on finding your quest for the Holy MiniDisc.

Do you think you'll be satisfied with the sound of LP2 or even LP4? MDLP is one of the biggest success stories of the newer MD units, allowing a lot of flexibility during recording. Do you still have a collection of older, SP-only recordings made with the R50?

Mar 22, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 26
Thanks Super, actually yes I do have quite a few MD's left over from my old R50. I still even have the remote, adapter and gumstick still somewhere. I'm assuming that the N707 will be backwards compatible with the recordings correct? The remot and everything else I'm guessing will be useless though. Maybe someone with a R50 on the board needs a (like)new remote? About the quality, I'll just have to wait and see. I have yet to listen to any of the newer recording methods. I'll more than likely be using my Koss KSC-50's so maybe the difference will be pretty much transparent?

Mar 22, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #15 of 26
Yes, the N707 will read the R50 recordings
smily_headphones1.gif
. The N707 remote will even work on the R50, minus, I think, the backlight. The R50 remote most likely works on the N707, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back