Newbie looking for some new cans
Jul 29, 2005 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

scoffalot

New Head-Fier
The earphones that came with my iRiver H10 got frayed and one side won't work anymore. So I was looking around for some new earphones/headphones when I came upon this site.

I've been looking around and reading up here for only a week or so, but I'm already scared for my wallet.

Anywayz I think I'd really appreciate some high quality cans for portables. I like my rock,rap and am beginning to enjoy some jazz and classical, but anything above $200 and my parents might chop off my head (I think for perhaps just 50 bucks more, they might leave half of it on so I can at least enjoy the music).

I'd also like to keep my music to myself and other people's music to their respective selves, since I'm probably going to try and do some studying with them on.

I've been looking at the shure e2,e3,e4, the etymotic er6,er6i,er4p, super fi 5pro. Besides the canal phones I'm totally clueless..
confused.gif

Somebody please help??

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 11
So far I've owned two relatively low-end headphones that get good value reviews here: the KSC-35's (about $30) and the Shure E2c (about $55). I just bought a pair of AT A900's ($200 new, but I got them used), but haven't gotten/listened to them yet. The KSC-35's sound like they leak too much for your needs.

I would reccomend to you two choices: Either buy a large, closed can (others will have better recommendations on this) for your maximum budget or buy the E2c, since it is one of the least expensive canal phones. If you go with the second option, you'll be able to see(hear?) whether you want to continue the hobby, as your initial investment is fairly low risk. Personally, I have thouroughly enjoyed the E2c's with only one misgiving, and that is I prefer foam sleeves, which don't last forever, so I had to purchase more.

Good luck.

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 11
I think the safe and inexpensive choice would be Grado SR60/SR80, or AKG K240S.

Grado headphones excell at rock and are quite good for jazz but are not the best choice for classical music.

K240S may not be as spectacular for rock as Grados but they are still very good performers nonetheless. If you like effortless, smooth, rich, warm and relaxing sound with great soundstage, you might really like K240S.

Somewhere between the SR80 and K240S, there are Sennheiser HD280Pro. To me they sound a bit sibilant but they offer quite good isolation - if one needs it.

Of the three mentioned, I personally like AKG K240S the best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 11
aren't the grados and the k240s open?
i'd rather have closed headphones, since i'll probably use them outside more than inside.

eek.gif
i was going to buy the e2c until i came here, and everybody was like
mad.gif
e2c sucks, high trill, no bass, no fun, buy the er6i, or buy the e3c. Then when i look up those all the reviewers are like no er6i sux
mad.gif
so does the e3c, get the e4c and er4p. arghh so frustrating
frown.gif
. I just want something fun to listen that isolates a lot. I don't mind spending too much just as long as i'm getting into the music, tapping my foot, playing air guitar. I liked the shures since I could probably wear them in class without the teacher noticing if i have my hood up
eggosmile.gif
. But i've heard that they really suck on the lows and the highs no matter how much up u go.

Help please??

Jul 30, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 11
Shures do tend to roll off the high end, but not the e4c. If you can find those for $200 - and you will - they'll be your best friend very soon. They might need a bit of bassboost for rap music though (well I wouldn't know, I bloody hate rap, but I listen to trance, and you do need bass there). Balanced armatures respond quite well to bassboost, and shouldn't clip unless your source starts clipping.

The Ety ER-4P will give you unprecedented clarity and detail - however, they're more suited to electronic and classical music rather than rock/rap. I'd say stick with the e4c. The Etys can sound thin and shrill, especially if you don't get a good seal. They're bright and hyperdetailed - which is great for really well recorded classical and electronic music - but metal and rap are hardly ever all that well produced, and the Ety's will accentuate production flaws instead of making the music enjoyable.

People have complained about the recessed treble on the super.fi, and the cheap sounding mids and treble. I wouldn't know about that, I haven't heard them - however, in the world of balanced armatures, it's almost a given that if you want good, deep bass without overboosting it out of your source, then you need dual-driver canalphones. In the price range, only the super.fi pro and EB are dual-driver. I have the dual-drivered UM2's, and the bass improvement from the second driver is noticeable.

All of those are very low-profile and very portable. However, they also isolate so well that you wouldn't hear a hand grenade going off next door if you had your music playing. I would definitely NOT recommend wearing them in class, as you will have no idea what's going on all around you. And while they're comfortable when you wear them right, they take a lot of fussing around before you can insert them properly. They're not good if you have to take them off and put them back in constantly

Canalphones, though, aren't so good in terms of bang for the buck. Full-size cans fare better. But I don't think you'll enjoy lugging them around. If you want a recommendation, though - look at the Grado SR-225 and the Audio-Technica ATH-A900. Both are in your price range, and are some damn fine cans. Neither requires an amp to be playable, but they do benefit from one a whole lot.

Jul 30, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Shures do tend to roll off the high end, but not the e4c. If you can find those for $200 - and you will - they'll be your best friend very soon. They might need a bit of bassboost for rap music though (well I wouldn't know, I bloody hate rap, but I listen to trance, and you do need bass there). Balanced armatures respond quite well to bassboost, and shouldn't clip unless your source starts clipping.

The Ety ER-4P will give you unprecedented clarity and detail - however, they're more suited to electronic and classical music rather than rock/rap. I'd say stick with the e4c. The Etys can sound thin and shrill, especially if you don't get a good seal. They're bright and hyperdetailed - which is great for really well recorded classical and electronic music - but metal and rap are hardly ever all that well produced, and the Ety's will accentuate production flaws instead of making the music enjoyable.

People have complained about the recessed treble on the super.fi, and the cheap sounding mids and treble. I wouldn't know about that, I haven't heard them - however, in the world of balanced armatures, it's almost a given that if you want good, deep bass without overboosting it out of your source, then you need dual-driver canalphones. In the price range, only the super.fi pro and EB are dual-driver. I have the dual-drivered UM2's, and the bass improvement from the second driver is noticeable.

All of those are very low-profile and very portable. However, they also isolate so well that you wouldn't hear a hand grenade going off next door if you had your music playing. I would definitely NOT recommend wearing them in class, as you will have no idea what's going on all around you. And while they're comfortable when you wear them right, they take a lot of fussing around before you can insert them properly. They're not good if you have to take them off and put them back in constantly

Canalphones, though, aren't so good in terms of bang for the buck. Full-size cans fare better. But I don't think you'll enjoy lugging them around. If you want a recommendation, though - look at the Grado SR-225 and the Audio-Technica ATH-A900. Both are in your price range, and are some damn fine cans. Neither requires an amp to be playable, but they do benefit from one a whole lot.

super.fi 5pro? they are 190$ brand new at ebay

Jul 31, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 11
I really do like the feeling of full-sized cans, especially walking around with them
600smile.gif
, but like some1 else said up there i do need to lug them around.
so i'm going to try and find some $200 e4c.

thanx a lot for ur replies
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back