Newbie looking for purchasing advice
Apr 26, 2010 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Kooper

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

So, I stumbled onto this forums because I was trying to do some research on headphones, I guess that's obvious enough, haha. A couple years ago I was given Bose on-ear headphones as a gift, and they were the first pair of headphones I've ever owned that didn't cost $10 or less (though technically since they were a gift they were free). After doing some research here and elsewhere it seems that Bose is about the worst I could get (Buy Other Sound Equipment? Nice.), which I find funny because I was amazed at the quality at the time (though now they're pretty much destroyed from wear). That gets me pretty excited to venture into what is possible after a little research and asking is applied.

So anyway, I've been reading since this morning, and decided to take the dive and ask for some suggestions. I'd like to find some headphones which I can use while traveling, because I commute a lot on the train. From what I've read, that would mean I'm trying to look for closed headphones in that situation, right? Excuse my newbish knowledge, my education only goes as far as 10 AM when I started reading.
biggrin.gif

My budget right now would be around $200, would really not want to go anywhere over that amount unless there was good reason to.

I listen to a lot of electronic music, chiptune music, and video game soundtracks- Yeah this place is really cool! For the most part I hardly ever listen to anything with vocals. If I'm not listening to music I'd want to use my headphones with portable gaming, like a Nintendo DS or a PSP, if that would impact recommendations.

Not sure if there's anything else I could say to help, but I really do appreciate the help. I'm so happy I found this place to get some good information and research done before I wound up buying something I would regret, like more Bose headphones.

Thanks again! And I'll be checking back throughout the day/night, I'm working all day today, haha.

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 25
I would recommend Shure SRH840's. Well within your budget and you could use your iPod/gaming system or whatever to drive them. Another reason for my recommendation is that the Shures will handle any type of music you throw at them. And later when you get the urge to upgrade, you could get an amp and a dac for the Shures and they will improve noticeably.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 25
^ 2xed

Shure 840 are just crazy good headphones and might blow your ears away with their awesomeness, they fit everything you want except the portable area. Which, if your budget is really $200, you can get a new set of 840s for around 140$ on ebay, and buy your pick of portables. JVCHAS700 all the way for portables
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 25
Ultrasones might also be worth considering. They do amazingly well with electronic and bassheavy music. Not really sure on soundstage though as I never got to try them with gaming.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..I listen to a lot of electronic music, chiptune music, and video game soundtracks ...

Buy some sennheiser (HD4xx, or HD5xx)! You won't be dissapointed.
It's good if you can find a local store to listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 25
Maybe you are better off with a sound card + headphone or amp + headphones... all depends on what your music source is, if you plan to get other headphones in a couple of years etc

do you game?

May 2, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 25
Sorry for getting back so late, been a bit tired down due to school and work.

So to get to some questions...

Source: I don't own an iPod, is it really worth getting one for MP3 playing? Normally I've used my phone (MicroSD), Nintendo DS, and Sony PSP for MP3 playing, but would an iPod and it's many variants be recommended as a source otherwise? Or is there another player I should consider (maybe with flac playback? heh.)? Otherwise yes I would use it on my computer as well, however I'd more likely be using it on the go more than on my computer as the only time I use my headphones on my computer is at night to not disturb others.

I am a gamer, and I would definitely be using the headphones with handheld gaming as I mentioned earlier. I would not be using them when playing console games.

As for getting new headphones in a couple years? It's always an option. I wouldn't want it to make me NOT want to get something good now though.

May 2, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #10 of 25
Something you should know about many of the headphones here is that they are much larger than you expect them to be so if you want something no bigger than your Bose headphones, you should mention it. This applies to the Shures for example.

May 2, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something you should know about many of the headphones here is that they are much larger than you expect them to be so if you want something no bigger than your Bose headphones, you should mention it. This applies to the Shures for example.

Ah, you're right that is something I didn't take into account to mention, you're absolutely right. Well, when traveling I always use a messenger bag, so as long as I have a secure way to protect my headphones when not in use during transit (an included case?) size is not an issue for me. I have no personal preference when it comes to size as long as it can meet that criteria.

Thank you for bringing that up though, I do appreciate it, though I am aware of the size difference.

May 3, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy some sennheiser (HD4xx, or HD5xx)! You won't be dissapointed.
It's good if you can find a local store to listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

However even though you recommend these, they're open headphones, right? Just how bad is this "leaking" effect anyway? For example I want to use these headphones on the train and at work (at a computer), I wouldn't want the sound levels to disturb those around me. From what I've read these levels can indeed be an issue for someone looking to get headphones with these conditions. Can you elaborate on your recommendation?

EDIT:

Also another quick question... Would anyone have a reccomendation for an actual headset to use with an Xbox 360 specifically? Maybe Xbox 360/PC? Just curious to throw that out there as well.

May 3, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However even though you recommend these, they're open headphones, right? Just how bad is this "leaking" effect anyway? For example I want to use these headphones on the train and at work (at a computer), I wouldn't want the sound levels to disturb those around me. From what I've read these levels can indeed be an issue for someone looking to get headphones with these conditions. Can you elaborate on your recommendation?

EDIT:

Also another quick question... Would anyone have a reccomendation for an actual headset to use with an Xbox 360 specifically? Maybe Xbox 360/PC? Just curious to throw that out there as well.

The leakage isn't too bad. People will hear what you are listening to and you will hear them.

As for the headset, it's nice because it has a mic attached and some of them are wireless. But as for the quality of the sound, they are not so good for music.

May 4, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #14 of 25
Can anyone get back to me on that source question? I ask because I don't know how much difference there is between different portable music players, and if one is signifigantly better for some reason (sound quality wise) I'd be very interested to hear the details. (see what I did there?)

And of course I'd still love to hear some more opinions on headphone choices for my particular situation.

Much appreciated everyone!

May 4, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #15 of 25
One thing worth mention is that BOSE isn't actually awful, it's just not a good value.

If you're using headphones on a train, you definitely want closed headphones. I like the Audio Technica ATH M-50's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back