Newbie looking for inexpensive headphones
Jan 22, 2006 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

goldenratiophi

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, so I've been using cheap (ie bad) earbuds, and I'm looking for something better. I'm looking for headphones in the <$50 range. The music I listen to can have high amounds of bass (eg some Pink Floyd, Dream Theater), so I'd like headphones with good bass. I've been thinking a bout those Sennheiser HD 201's, though people always talk about the Grado SR60. However, browsing these forums, I've seen people say that they both lack bass. Any suggestions?

Jan 22, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 9
There's a pretty thorough review of the 201s here somewhere so you'd maybe wanna try searching for that. From what I've read, it's a balanced phone and offers a lot of value for the price. I recently got the HD 205 and so far, i'm satisfied with them. Straight out of my shuffle they sound great and worth the $53 I paid for IMHO. I think there was a thread posted recently that's very similar to yours, so try looking that up as well.

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi
Ok, so I've been using cheap (ie bad) earbuds, and I'm looking for something better. I'm looking for headphones in the <$50 range. The music I listen to can have high amounds of bass (eg some Pink Floyd, Dream Theater), so I'd like headphones with good bass. I've been thinking a bout those Sennheiser HD 201's, though people always talk about the Grado SR60. However, browsing these forums, I've seen people say that they both lack bass. Any suggestions?

Koss Portapros have good bass. Sennheiser PX 100 are also good. The PX 100 and Portapro are the best headphones under $50 - Portapro is bassier, while PX 100 is also bassy but somewhat more refined and balanced. If you can stretch your budget, the Grado SR60 is an excellent choice at $69. It's the headphone that many head-fiers started this hobby with.

EDIT: Get the 201 only if you need the slight isolation and zero leakage - ie, you will be using it in a noisy area with other people around. Otherwise, any of these open headphones (PX 100, Portapro, SR-60) sound considerably better and more engaging than the 201.

EDIT2: This is a great summary of the best budget headphones out there:

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ap...ap-headphones/

Read the intro, and click on each model to read the extended review...see which one sounds the best for your tastes and budget.

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 9
Koss KSC-75 (or 35) are great for the price. Around $20.
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the input! I do prefer closed headphones because I find them more comfortable, and I do listen to music while there is a moderate amount of noise in the background.

headphones.com seems to list the HD 201 in their top 10 headphones, and at <$30, it looks like a great deal!

Ok, I have to admit (somewhat embarassingly) that I bought a pair of Koss UR19's a few days ago at Best Buy. Searching reviews online, people seem to hate these phones, and yet they were still the best I'd ever heard! :p

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Josh
Koss KSC-75 (or 35) are great for the price. Around $20.
biggrin.gif

x2!!!

KSC75 for around $15. Search the forum for a used mint at $35-$40 and you'll have a great budget prog rock rig.

I sit here typing this msg listening to JOrdan Rudess / John Petrucci on a Vintage PCDP => mint => KSC75 (modded).

The CDP was $18, Mint was $40, KSC75 was $15, and radio shack TRS cable was $10... outstanding value IMHO. You dont have to spend a lot to get a good sounding, fun headphone setup.

Garrett

Jan 23, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi
Ok, I have to admit (somewhat embarassingly) that I bought a pair of Koss UR19's a few days ago at Best Buy. Searching reviews online, people seem to hate these phones, and yet they were still the best I'd ever heard! :p

Don't be embaressed.... just turn and run (and be happy with what you have!)

I came here very happy with the £70 IEM's that I'd brought and wondered whether a headphone amp might make them a little better (after hearing what they were, not knowing to begin with)

About £500 later I realise that those same IEM aren't actually as good as the best that's available (while still being so much better to what I was used to at the time) Now I'm used to so much better that I'm not sure how long I can stick with them before having to buy something better for when I need absolute quiet....

This place can be very expensive so if you've found something that you think is really good turn and run!! And if you don't, then sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory
Don't be embaressed.... just turn and run (and be happy with what you have!)

I'm afraid that the bug might have already bitten and that might be impossible
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, I guess the HD 201 aren't such a good idea after all. It's hard to believe that $15-20 headphones (reffering to those KSC-75's) can be that good, but I guess with so many people recommending them, I might have to check them out (hey, it's $15....)!

Thanks!

PS: I also do realize that my UR-19's aren't perfect, after hearing an Eagle's guitar solo kind of sound like it's "cracking" (not sure of a better word) as it went higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back