Newbie looking for his first amp
Nov 9, 2011 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

autoteleology

Formerly known as Tus-Chan
I'm very new to the audiophile scene. I own a laptop with atrocious in-computer audio and a pair of Sony XB500's (I am rather strapped for cash), and I am planning to buy an M50 for my first real set of cans.

I listen to a lot of bass-heavy electronica, and some rock.

The amp needs to have a USB line-out.

I'm looking to spend less than $100 (US), but I'm willing to go higher if the cost is justified.

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 15
Nov 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Not available till January and no one knows how it will sound.

Not only is the E17 not out until January, but reported pricing is going to be about just ~$200.

As somebody already said, the E7 is a very good starter amp if you want the DAC function as well.

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 15
Hi everyone!
I've just got a new pair of Brainwavz B2 and an iPod nano 6th generation. I'm pretty happy with the IEMs, the only obvious disadvantage is lack of bass. I heard that an amp might resolve that issue, thinking of getting a Fiio E6 (really low on cash these days), some say the 2nd eq option adds a sufficient amount of low end without any distortion. What do you think about it? Will it not ruin the sound quality given by B2? Thanks.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 15
Thanks for your replies. 
I won't get E7 or E11 coz they are a bit bulky, especially comparing to my nano 6g. Thinking of getting L9 lod, since it seems to be the most suitable one for my rig.

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 15
Go for Fiio E6, its SQ is incredible, its price ridiculous and it matches very well with your nano in size.

It has a very flat response, a low output impedance (very good for balanced armatures IEM) and with the EQs you can solve the B2's lack of bass.

P.S. don't forget to get a LOD.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 15
Yeah, I think E6 would be perfect choice for me right now. Thinking of getting FiiO L9 LOD, since it's the shortest one they have. EQ setting #2 should resolve the bass issue. Thanks for your reply!

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Yeah, I think E6 would be perfect choice for me right now. Thinking of getting FiiO L9 LOD, since it's the shortest one they have. EQ setting #2 should resolve the bass issue. Thanks for your reply!

I thought you were looking to use it as a DAC? Otherwise, E6 is definitely good for a starter amp until you get hungrier for moar. Which you may or may not get hit with that.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 15
E6 doesn't have the DAC function, does it?
If there'll be any better tiny amps I might upgrade, but for now I don't feel like carrying smth like E11 with J3, takes up way too much space in the pocket.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
E6 doesn't have the DAC function, does it?
If there'll be any better tiny amps I might upgrade, but for now I don't feel like carrying smth like E11 with J3, takes up way too much space in the pocket.

E6 doesn't have the DAC function. If you are looking for an amp with reduced size it's the best choice.
For a significantly upgrade, you'd have to go for a E11 or a good Cmoy, but they double E6's price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back