Newbie looking for help!
May 19, 2012 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TheFlipsideDown

New Head-Fier
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read my thread. I'm generally very well versed in technology but the "Correct" if I may, equipment required for listening to music how it was intended by the producer eludes me. Of course I know the basics ;sound cards, headphones, DAC's, Amp's...etc. The thing I don't understand is which are required for my use. I do a lot of gaming I don't really play FPS games anymore. If I do I don't really need directional sound for footsteps, gunshots and such. Reason being is that I don't plan on playing competitive fps any longer. The type of game I play are RTS and some RPG/Single Player games. The type of music I listen to is Classical, Hardcore, and some underground rap/electric. So I think a set of all purpose much cans would be best. I don't require insane amounts of base, although I would like to have it available to me in parts of music where it is required. I'm also looking for a natural sound. Not boosted bass or over exaggerated sounds. Also I would like the headphones to be circumaural, not on ear.

Now that you know what I'm looking for, my budget is $~200 USD. I have been looking for a setup that suites me for a few hours now and all I have done is confuse myself. So any help is well appreciated. Thank you in advance. And have a nice rest of your day. :)

May 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read my thread. I'm generally very well versed in technology but the "Correct" if I may, equipment required for listening to music how it was intended by the producer eludes me. Of course I know the basics ;sound cards, headphones, DAC's, Amp's...etc. The thing I don't understand is which are required for my use. I do a lot of gaming I don't really play FPS games anymore. If I do I don't really need directional sound for footsteps, gunshots and such. Reason being is that I don't plan on playing competitive fps any longer. The type of game I play are RTS and some RPG/Single Player games. The type of music I listen to is Classical, Hardcore, and some underground rap/electric. So I think a set of all purpose much cans would be best. I don't require insane amounts of base, although I would like to have it available to me in parts of music where it is required. I'm also looking for a natural sound. Not boosted bass or over exaggerated sounds. Also I would like the headphones to be circumaural, not on ear.

Now that you know what I'm looking for, my budget is $~200 USD. I have been looking for a setup that suites me for a few hours now and all I have done is confuse myself. So any help is well appreciated. Thank you in advance. And have a nice rest of your day. :)

A low cost option.
Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) semi-open cans.
Asus Xonar DGX sound card.
Total under $100

May 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Are there any cans that are a little more expensive say $100-150 that would pair well with that sound card and my needs?

Would the AKG K-240 work well for my needs?

The AKG K240, currently selling for $90 at Amazon, is a good value.
(the Samson SR850 is a low cost tawian knock off of the K240).

May 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Okay, is there anything else to upgrade that would make it better? Soundcard, DAC? Anything?
Also what model should I get? The Studio version or the monitoring version or the MKII's?

The Xonar DG & DGX are one of the few low cost headphones that come with an headphone amplifier, you would have to spend over $100 to make it worth upgrading.

You want the headphones call K240 Studio (55-Ohm)
Sometimes also called K240 Studio Monitoring (makes them sound special)
Ones called AKG K240 monitor can refer to the K240 Monitor 600-Ohm version, which you do not want.
So the word "monitor" or "monitoring" can be loosely thrown around.

As far as I can tell the K240 and K240 MKII are the same, the MKII just has a detachable cable.
I own the K242HD which is the K240 with a nice paint job.

May 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Well there is one version of the K-240 that is like 80 USD on Amazon and one that is 99 USD. Which one is the correct one?

The one for $99 is the K240 Monitor 600-Ohm version.
The one for $79.99 is the 55-Ohm version, but it's not sold by Amazon, just thru Amazon, so it may or may not come with a warranty.
You would have to get  the real sellers name and then check on the Harmon/AKG website to see if they are an autherised reseller.
The one sold by Amazon themselves is $89.99

May 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
The K240's are not listed under headphones on the AKG site. What should I do?

Just look at any list for AKG headphone autherized resellers, as long as the retailer seller is on some list, you should be covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back