Newbie looking for advice; Fubar IV dac/amp vs hifiman EF5 with asus essence stx
Dec 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dopedpanda

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow audio worshippers :)

Im currently owning a Fubar IV dac/amp (and have a spare asus essence stx soundcard laying around im not using)
But im looking for new headphones (2 to be exact) i know i want a denon 2000,5000,7000 or ultrasone pro 900 without a doubt.... Thats just nice bass (leaning most to the denon ah-d7000)

But im also looking at some Hifiman HE-5LE, and im not sure if the Fubar IV dac/amp would be a good source/amp to drive those from? I know the Denon love solid amps, but i don´t know about the Hifimans?

The reason why im asking is Ampcity is having a combo where you get the Hifiman HE-5LE and EF5 only paying 100 punds for the EF5 (half price) and im in question if i should snatch the amp with (could always be nice to have an tube amp as i don´t have tried one before) But im not sure if the EF5 will be good with the essence stx? Or if i need to open my wallet up yet again to get another Dac (not really an option i like)

Hope you guys can help me out :)

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Hello fellow audio worshippers :)

Im currently owning a Fubar IV dac/amp (and have a spare asus essence stx soundcard laying around im not using)
But im looking for new headphones (2 to be exact) i know i want a denon 2000,5000,7000 or ultrasone pro 900 without a doubt.... Thats just nice bass (leaning most to the denon ah-d7000)

But im also looking at some Hifiman HE-5LE, and im not sure if the Fubar IV dac/amp would be a good source/amp to drive those from? I know the Denon love solid amps, but i don´t know about the Hifimans?

The reason why im asking is Ampcity is having a combo where you get the Hifiman HE-5LE and EF5 only paying 100 punds for the EF5 (half price) and im in question if i should snatch the amp with (could always be nice to have an tube amp as i don´t have tried one before) But im not sure if the EF5 will be good with the essence stx? Or if i need to open my wallet up yet again to get another Dac (not really an option i like)

Hope you guys can help me out :)

I have the EF5 - I like it a lot, even with high impedance cans like DT880 and HD650.  Normal price is $499 USD (newer version with full music tube) or $399 USD for older version.  If I'm doing the math right, you can get it for about $160 USD, which is a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back