Newbie looking for a kick ass pair of closed-back reference 'phones!
Sep 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ScottThePilgrim

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
So I figure I should provide a bit of backstory here, first time poster, and I also just made my first real audiophile-level headphone purchase: a kick ass pair of HD650s.
I saved up and finally decided to spend the money for a good pair of headphones after gradually increasing the quality of my earbuds (iPod phones to Klipsch S7 to earPods etc...). I've always been around great speakers, but I wanted the cans to match. 
A primary purpose for these is to use in college, that is to say in close quarters and without disturbing others, but trying not to sacrifice sound quality.
I know it won't be a perfect situation, but I figured I go to you experts for help.
First, the HD650s:
I gotta be honest,  I freakin' love these. They sound beautifully open but also punchy enough to play games with, and overall really well rounded.
My only problem (and in my situation, returning headphones is not an issue) is that I underestimated the 'openness' of the open-backs... That is to say, wow, everyone can hear me and I can hear everyone!
Needless to say, this is a bit of an issue, especially in a dorm environment.
I'm thus in the market for a similarly-priced pair of headphones that deliver about similar sound quality (with an emphasis on full body and full mids... I'm not much of a bass-head and like a certain well-rounded warmth to my sound, hence the 650s).
And the catch: closed back.
Can you guys help me?

TL;DR - Looking for a pair of closed back reference headphones for high quality music+gaming, as close as possible to HD650 sound quality, comfort, and price. Basically the closed-back equivalent of the 650s.

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 6
Huh, never even heard of the Mad Dogs, thanks for letting me know!
The AKG K550s were up with the Sony MDR 7520s as a couple interests... Thing is the amp is not certain, so just to be safe I'm looking for a pair that'll deliver (as much as it can) without it.
Thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back