Newbie: Looking at Ultrasone 780, AKG 272HD. NEED HELP!
Jan 9, 2009 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jstalz

100+ Head-Fier
I am new the high end headphone scene. Im looking to upgrade from an old pair of Sony headphones that Ive been rocking for years and are now broken.

I am considering the Ultrasone HFI-780 and AKG 272HD only because I have read good reviews on both pairs. I have heard that the 780s have a poor construction/durability and I have also heard that the 272s will draw out all of the flaws in compressed audio like mp3s and WMAs. I will be using these headphones with an iPod and a Mac with no amplifier. I thoroughly enjoy high end sound and my budget is about $250.

Am I looking at the right products? Any recommendations or further info on these headphones will help me greatly and is appreciated.

THANKS!!!

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 8
AKG K271S (basicly the same) sounds very natural, but is a little light on bass and definitely needs an amp to shine. Very intimate sound.

Audio Technica ES7 is a good one at about the same price, nice forward sound and great bass. if ESW9 fits in budget, you get a more refined headphone and sexy looking too. Both are portable, much smaller and not really neading an amp. I know ES7 sounds good and ESW9 should sound great too (esw10 rocks
smily_headphones1.gif
)

One upgrade that is 'free' is re-ripping CD's in Apple Lossless. Then you don't have to worry about file-quality and is definitely a step up from 'standard' mp3's.
Genre preference would help for more recommendations.

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks paaj i appreciate the help. I know its annoying when new guys like me come on here and ask for help knowing very little about headphones.

Ive checked out both pairs of the Audio Technicas and they both seem like nice headphones (Ive read some reviews too).

Should i rule out the Ultrasones? and what impedance should I look for? Again, ill be hooking these up to an ipod or a mac with no amplifier.

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 8
the k272hd can be used with your ipod and mac without an amp but i agree, it will benefit greatly from one. Most of my music is 256kbps or higher and i would say you can hear the flaws but i dont think it makes the music sound worst. If you think you will get an amp in the future I would go for it. I think the AKG sound is love/hate. It may be your sound, it may not be. If you like to have a lot of bass I would steer clear. I think the bass is sufficient for me. I have not heard the ultrasones

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 8
I have the K271S and HFI-780. I have tried both off of the Sansa Fuze and my computer via the Zero. They are both really good, but I like the HFI-780 for it's portability, look, and stronger bass. It is also stronger for feet-tapping purposes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Without an amp, I felt the K271S was a bit on the weak side compared to the HFI-780 without the amp. Also, the mids were a bit less recessed with the HFI-780.

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jstalz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am new the high end headphone scene. Im looking to upgrade from an old pair of Sony headphones that Ive been rocking for years and are now broken.

I am considering the Ultrasone HFI-780 and AKG 272HD only because I have read good reviews on both pairs. I have heard that the 780s have a poor construction/durability and I have also heard that the 272s will draw out all of the flaws in compressed audio like mp3s and WMAs. I will be using these headphones with an iPod and a Mac with no amplifier. I thoroughly enjoy high end sound and my budget is about $250.

Am I looking at the right products? Any recommendations or further info on these headphones will help me greatly and is appreciated.

THANKS!!!

Hi,
I have the ALO 780 phones, they have been used everyday twice a day commuting to and from work for 8 months, sound great and I personally have had no durability problems. Really like the look of the new Phiaton Moderna MS 400 ($249), hope to hear them soon. Positive review by Wes Phillips in this months Stereophile.Hope you find something you like. Welcome to the road to poverty!
Kind Regards
Cnocmoy.

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 8
When you say ALO 780s, does that mean youve upgraded them? How do they sound stock?
Also do you happen to know anything about the Audio Technica ESW9s, maybe in comparison to the stock 780s?

Ive heard phenomenal things about the ESW9s.
Anybody know if these headphones sit on top of your ears, or do they fully surround your ears like full size headphones do?
Where can I find these for purchase in the USA? (online/store)

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 8
When he says ALO then that means he had them recabled with ALO cables, which is a debate in and of its self, Some say it changes the sound, others don't. Thats something for you to decide. I haven't had much experience with headphones other than the HFI-780's HD580's and HD590's. But I really like my 780's they're very fun to listen to. Like others have said, most of the time I can't resist tapping my foot to the beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back