Newbie, looking at budget HP tube amps
Jan 17, 2009 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PaulyT

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all! I'm totally new here, and a bit nervous posting this because I'm sure all these things have been discussed to death before... but here goes. (Brought here by GreatDane from Sound&Vision forums, assume it's the same GreatDane that's a member here.) I'm still looking around at materials here and trying to learn my way around, so feel free to point me to appropriate resources rather than answering directly. But try not to rag on me too much for asking dumb questions.
wink.gif

Anyway, I'm thinking about entering the world of headphones and tube amps. I have absolutely no equipment in this area now. My budget is not high. I think I've pretty well settled on AKG K701 phones, and am looking around at tube amps now. I listen mainly to classical music. For now I plan to use my M-Audio MobilePre USB as a DAC to drive the amp from my PC for most of my listening, will maybe get into better DAC later but again budget is limited.

I've heard a lot about the Little Dot series of HP amps, and after reading the excellent review here on the LD MKIII, am seriously considering that one, seems to fit what I'm looking for. But I'm open to other suggestions in the <$400 range. The Lunch Box II has come up, how does that compare to LD?

Again referring to the MKIII review, I quickly got lost in the bewildering (to a green novice) array of upgrade tubes described in there. Assuming I get a MKIII, is tube replacement something I should worry about right off, or should I just go with the manufacturer's to start with? How complicated is it to switch tubes? I assume it's not a big deal. I'm generally comfortable with electronic equipment - computer parts, soldering loudspeaker crossovers, etc - but I don't know anything about tube amps. Where do you buy these replacement tubes? Seems there's an art to this aspect of things.

What is this "burn in" thing? Is there a general protocol/recipe to follow for it?

Are there DIY kits in this price range that compare well to the Little Dot? This might be an interesting project, though not totally sure I'm ready to jump into it yet. I've been referred to this one, any good? Others?

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post and many questions, that's kinda my usual style. I'll stop here.
wink.gif

Cheers, and TIA for any advice and discussion!

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 13
The Head Direct EF1, Darkvoice 336SE, AudioTailor Jade, and Qinpu A-3 are all very nice amps in your price range. The first two have been commented about extensively on head-fi. The LunchBox II is also very good.

With K701's I'd go with the EF-1 since they are on the lower end of the impedance scale and an all-tube OTL amp might struggle with them a little.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 13
Ok well, I could spend ~$100 more on the Senn HD650's - 300ohm, would that be a better match for the LD-MKIII? Would it be better to spend a little more on the HP and get the less expensive amp?

Which is better for classical - AKG or Senn? Or speaking in HP+amp pairs - AKG+EF1 or Senn+LDMK3? Price seems roughly equivalent here.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the AudioTailor Jade?

Good point - I should have listed it there - post edited.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks! Alright, so the AKG K701 + Audiotailor Jade is looking like a nice combo, from my limited understanding. In the followup to your review of the Jade, Audiotailor specifically says they've tested with the K701's. Anyone else here have a Jade yet? Or even better, a Jade and K701 together?

What about the notion of matching gear to musical style? I've read it both ways, some saying particular equipment is better with certain types of music; others who say good gear should work for any type of music. Is there something in particular I should look for in amps and headphones, for classical? (piano in particular)

Sorry, I gotta learn to ask fewer questions at once.
wink.gif
Working on it.

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Head Direct EF1, Darkvoice 336SE, AudioTailor Jade, and Qinpu A-3 are all very nice amps in your price range. The first two have been commented about extensively on head-fi. The LunchBox II is also very good.

With K701's I'd go with the EF-1 since they are on the lower end of the impedance scale and an all-tube OTL amp might struggle with them a little.

Oh Wise and Powerful Skylad,

You would recommend a S/S or hybrid with lower amperage H/P's such as Denon AHD5K's. I've been thining about a DF336, but Most of my H/P's are moderately low Impedence. I have an RA-1 l/g battery. Good Bang for the Buck ?

Sorry about hijacking your thread Pault but I saw what Skylab said about tube amps and Low impedence and I thought this would be the best place to ask.

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 13
Ok Skylab, based on your recommendation (and pretty much only on your recommentation!
smily_headphones1.gif
), I've ordered the Jade. (And the K701's.)

There's a good promotion going on with the Jade now, if anyone's interested, you should get in touch with Audiotailor. With the Chinese new year, won't get here till mid-Feb, but that's not a big deal.

So far I'm pleased with their response; I've sent them several e-mails over the past ~24 hours, on the weekend (here anyway) and who knows what time of day over there, and they've responded quickly and courteously.

Thanks for your help, and I'm looking forward to this entrance to the HP world.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You would recommend a S/S or hybrid with lower amperage H/P's such as Denon AHD5K's. I've been thining about a DF336, but Most of my H/P's are moderately low Impedence. I have an RA-1 l/g battery. Good Bang for the Buck ?

I do think that a tube/SS hybrid like the EF1 works better than the DV 336 for low impedance headphones, yes.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 13
Jade can drive low impedance Cans well :

Jade

32 Ohm

Plate Out 28mW 12Hz ~ 85Khz -1db

Cathode 20mW

64 Ohm

Plate Out 38mW 12Hz ~ 85Khz

Cathode 35mW

120 Ohm

Plate Out 58mW 12Hz ~ 90Khz

Cathode 70mW