newbie leaning towards MS-1 but has some questions
Dec 5, 2008 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

audio_nirvana

New Head-Fier
new to headfi but not new to the world of audio. I used to listen to my music through a pair of old school klipsch speakers, a diy sub, old kenwood preamp and into a marantz amp. the source was either a thorens turntable, or a sony cd player. in my current living situations i cannot play music through my system for hte consideration of those i live with and also my room is now kinda small so i can't quite setup my system to my liking. the speakers are based on the passive radiator design and i can't put them far enough from the back of the wall or wide apart. Im a recent graduate so ive got student loans to pay off and hence my budget is kinda small, something you'll have to keep in mind while giving me alternate suggestions.

I still want to listen to my music without resorting to tinny sounding earphones with no dynamics. I use a pair of sennheiser cx300 for my ipod while at the gym or walking to places, they'll always be my portable pair as i like the convenience of having light weight ear-canal units that weight next to nothing and take up no space in my pant pockets. I need a pair of earphones for use while im in my room, i'll either listen to music through my comp or through my marantz amp (more the comp than the amp though). I need a pair with fairly low input impedance so i can drive them with the iphone or comp, a headphone amp isn't on the can-afford list in the near future unfortunately.

I do like my bass to be punchy, tight and deep. I have an eclectic taste in music but go through phases from genre to genre anything from classic rock to old school hip hop and electronica are all in the mix. Being a klipsch fan im used to the harsh highs of a cone tweeter but i don't want something that'll fatigue me after 2hrs of listening.

After some reading and searching around Im sort of leaning towards the MS-1 as a starter but how good is their bass response? I've also got the d1001 and m50 on my radar but here is the limiting factor besides my low $100-150 budget. I live in canada and hence the same headphones are much more $$ here than the US and if I buy from the US my actual headphone budget would be lowered by upto 40% because i had to think of shipping + customs + other taxes + randomness like brokerage fees/international handling charges etc. I can find the d1001 on a canadian site for $158 shipped after tax and the ms-1 is $99 shipped. what'd you do in my shoes? any other suggestions i haven't considered are welcome too.

and i had no intention to make this such a long post, but thanks in advance

Dec 5, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm in the same boat.

From what I read, the MS-1's seem to be a good choice. I found the D1001 for relatively cheap on Amazon, but other than that, anything that ships to Canada is ridiculously expensive (especially with $30 shipping on like ~$60 headphones)

Besides the 1001 and the MS-1, the only other thing I would rather have for <$100 are the SR60's to save money. Since Grado doesn't want their product spread outside the US, prices are jacked up ridiculously and not worth it.

If you're interested, here's the Amazon link

Amazon.com: Used and New: Denon AHD1001S On-Ear Headphones (Silver)

$35 shipping jacks the price up to $111. Significantly better than what you'd otherwise find though.

My advice is to try and find a dealer that ships with USPS. Since it'll only cost $5, you have more money to spend on the headphones themselves. I currently do not know any that ship USPS. So if you find one... pm me the link plz

EDIT: Also, it seems people don't tend to read anything that's not written well. Hence why I'm using proper capitalization and trying not to be too wordy.

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks a lot for that amazon link, and you're right. finding a USPS shipper is a lot harder these days. I hate paying the brokerage fees with UPS. I learnt my lesson when i was younger as I paid $90 + $25 in brokerage and customs for a pair of used speakers that cost me $100.

anyone else with advice/recommendations? i can't believe the difference between US and Canada in pricing and availability.. its frustrating how it affects our budget for things we want

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 11
The MS-1s sound like a good fit. Their bass is punchy and has adequate quality. Not as good as headphones 2 or 3 times the price but very good for their cost
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 11
I might also look around for a pair of Grado SR-80s here in the classified section. That should fit your budget and they'll probably have punchier bass than the MS-1s.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by audio_nirvana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the SR-80 has punchier bass then the MS-1? I didn't know. what would i compromise/gain by going with the MS-1 over the SR-80 in the low and mid range?

You are getting less of the Grado sound, and whether that's a good thing depends on how much you will like the Grado sound. And also the stock MS1 pads are a bit more comfortable.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 11
Hey Audio-Nirvana - after reading your post and the replies so far - your best choice is MOST definitely the Alessandro MS 1 - for several reasons. If you like your bass punchy, tight and deep, yet want a set of cans that can also compliment other eclectic genres then the MS 1 is your choice.
If you like the Grado sound - the MS 1s are closer to the upper end Grado SR 125 - 2 steps up from th eSR60 and Sr 80 models - and for half the price.
And BEST of all - they cost $99.00 flat with NO additional shipping charges, no matter where you live!! Yup just $99.00 period. Check out their site here:
Alessandro High-End Products: Music Series Headphones

Dec 8, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm in the same place as you buddy, instead that I live in Brazil :/
Everyone here seems to congratulate the MS-1 buddy, i have a CK52 iem for my subway listening everyday going to my job, and i want a pair of headphones just to use at home with the best price/sound which i came to the conclusion that is the ms-1
Also the $99 and no shipping fee of alessandro is ****ing awesome!

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 11
MS-1 soundstage are they any good? and are the BASS extremely punchy? or just moderately that you can feel some air. not overwhelmingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back