Newbie, k701, apm, money wasting...
Jan 17, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord K /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm now thinking a good call could be to buy (if I don't find them in europe, even on the official website) the alessandro Music series one (I just understood what MS-1 stands for), ude them keep listing music and learning about headphones, than buy an amp and eventually the k701. (and yes, a good cd reader or whatever I'll feel i need).

Do you agree?

I agree! This is the way I started too. Just enjoy the Alessandros for now, and spend a month or two reading up on your various options. There is a LOT to be learned here.

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #17 of 25
Lord K - I owned the K702 and a friend of mine owns the K701 and K.I.C.A.S Caliente amplifier [which is a great match]. I wouldn't recommend on the K70x for progressive / rock etc' for the very simple reason that they are lack in the bass section.

Go for something more bassy like the HD600 / HD650 from sennheiser in the same price range [from ebaY].

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #18 of 25
I'm listening to my K701s right now and I'm more than happy with the sound. It's bass-lite, because of the open-air design. These are headphones that pick up the upper register well but let the bass spill out. To fix that, you simply use a decent amp, one that will boost the bass you've lost. In the world of sound, bass is a lot less of an issue than muddy mids and highs. Get the clarity first, then worry about the bass. The K701 is an exceptional headphone, if you know what to do with them. Both Grado and Sennheiser have imitated the AKG design in their upper-end models. Because of its doped drivers and more euphonic shells, the Grado GS-1000 and PS-1000 will give you more bass (as will the Sennheiser HD650) but you can get that bass with a decent amp.

I'd rather buy a K701 for a few hundred dollars used, and then add a decent amp for $500, then spend nearly two grand on the "best" from Grado and Sennheiser. In fact, I already have.

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #19 of 25
If you want something that is good with rock, metal, progressive rock, classical, jazz, everything.. put the Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohms (not 250 or 32 ohms) on your list to check out. Intimate and aggressive when it needs to be, large and open when the needed - well actually is very dependent on the recording, unlike the K701 which in my experience added soundstage to say rock and metal when it shouldn't have!

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #20 of 25
Buy a Grado Sr60 or SR 80 , nice price cans, they are very good with the music you like. I'm using for the most of time my Grado Sr325 and when my wife is in the room i use my Ultrasone Pro650, but the Sr325 sounds best
smile_phones.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #21 of 25
I'm going to buy alessandros ms1.
But, as you can se here there are 2 different models: the one with the 3,5 jack (which I need) and the "2009 improved version".
Which one should I buy?
What has been improved?
Assuming the improved version has the 1/4 jack (doesn't it?), which adaptor should i buy (i saw on ebay there are adaptor 1/4 to 1/8 for 1 euro, but do they work properly?).

Thank
dt880smile.png

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #23 of 25
Just dropping in here to say that I heard a plethora of stand-mount speakers over the last weekend.. (Monitor Audio Gold GS10, PSB Platinum M2, Dali Helikon 300 MKII, B&W CM5, Focal Electra 1008BE) and my K702 beats them hands down in the bass department... the control and pitch definition of the K702 over the lower registers is exceptional!
k701smile.gif

Other headphones/speakers give you more bass but not better bass... quality, speed and tightness are where the K702 excel.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #24 of 25
K701 have a bass.. it doesn't have that low bass but it is there.
I think Grado was more fun to listen to rocks than AKG. Only thing was I got headache listening to Grado for more than 30 minutes. Also, Grado sound was too bright for me. I think AKG K701 sits between Grado and Sennheiser.
Grado(bright sound) -- AKG (Balanced sound) -- Sennheiser (Warm sound)

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reasons I like the Ks for prog. are the soundstage, long term comfort and clarity. Not that the RS-1s don't do a damn good job, but listening to late 60s-mid 70s Genesis, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Marillion etc. with that huge soundstage is something to be experienced. Vocals also shine with the Ks. Yes, you trade off the Grado aggressive attack, that's why I own them also.

I'm agree, some of the classic rock have a great productions and the 70X can easy show that in details.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back