newbie: ipod IEM's?
Feb 22, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
There are new foamies on the horizon that are supposed to last significantly longer (around 10x from what I'm told), but that doesn't solve your "NOW NOW NOW!!!" attitude about it... If you're not keen on foamies, I think you'll have better overall performance out of one of the dual driver IEMs.

As one of the people who tested the E500's, did you have a chance to listen without the foamies? Perhaps with a triple flange (or variation of that)? How was it?

The 'now now now' thing was more sarcasm than anything else. I actually don't expect to make a purchase until around mid-June.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I'm talking about missing midrange... The E3's are rather mid-forward so you're probably flattening them with your EQ to a certain degree. That said, if you tend to like more bass and treble, with less mids, you may very well like the UM2 quite a bit.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what does "mid-forward" mean? I tend to think of freq response as a curve. In the case of the iPod headphone jack, it's nearly a flat line that drops off on the left (low freq/bass) side. I get the impression that "mid-forward" means that exact opposite of "scooping out the mids."

If so, the E3's, represented on a curve showing what people actually hear with them (when worn properly) would look like a bell curve? Starting low on the left, working its way up in the middle, and then dropping back off on the right?

(I know there's that graph tool on headroom or something, but I've found that what people actually HEAR with headphones is generally not what mechanical things measure. I suspect that this gets even worse with IEMs where at least half the impression of the sound reflects directly on what tips are used and how they are inserted.)

Thanks again for your time in helping me...
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back