Newbie introduction
Jul 27, 2015 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mrfixitx

New Head-Fier
So figured I would get my first post out of the way in the right forum.   

I'm new to quality headphones and all of the research and differences there are between headphones. I used to think speakers were generally supposed to be very neutral and quality was more a difference of clarity vs. V shaped and I had no idea about open back vs closed back.  This site and forums have really expanded my knowledge extensively in addition to some good YouTube videos and the r/headphones subreddit. 

I see why people talk about headphones being an addiction, in less than a month I picked up the ATX-M50x, and the Sennheiser 598's.   Both are a huge step up from my previous headphones and with the 598's I feel like I finally understand some of what people mean when they say soundstage and open vs. closed. 

I joined for a few reasons, I want to find some good IEM's for work, while I can wear over ear headphones at work IEM's are a lot easier.  I also really love the music threads and I have found some amazing tracks that I wouldn't have otherwise.

For music I like a lot of rock,metal,electronica/edm and faster paced instrumental/soundtracks.  The interstellar soundtrack is one of my favorite instrumental albums to come out recently and listening to if for the first time on my new 598's was amazing!! 

Thats it for me, I am really excited to join this awesome community and to keep learning, and trying to behave on new purchases.  One of my local stores has AudioTechnica MSR7 for $150 and they are really tempting even though I really haven't spent enough time with my m50X or the 598 yet.  

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet! :D

Go ahead. Get the MSR7. Then a new DAC and amp. Then a DAP. Then more headphones :evil:

More seriously, though, that's an awesome deal on the MSR7s. Assuming you keep them near mint, I would guess you'd be able to sell them for what you paid for them through the trade forums on Head-Fi (must be a member for 30 days and have 15 posts to trade).

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 6
How big of a step up are the MSR7's vs my ATH-M50X's?   I got the M50's because it seemed like every top 5 closed headphone list raved about them and I didn't realize my local store had the MSR7's until later as they have recently put a focus on stocking a bigger variety of headphones. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 6
Both the M50X and MSR7 are listed on Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed. You can read each review they have listed to get a sense of how they differ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back