Newbie: Internal or External DAC for X-Fi
Sep 15, 2005 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

coma_coding_mind

New Head-Fier
Hi there, Head-Fi's!

Well, I'm currently (slowly) starting to built up an audiphile headphone system - originally sparked by the anouncement of the SB X-Fi, which is to be released soon (hopefully). So I'm finally dumping my old Sennheiser eH-2270 and SB-Audigy.

After reading a great many posts here in the forum, I decided for an Sennheiser HD650 as new headphone. It's also available for 250 EUR (around 300$ I would estimate) at the german Amazon - seem a fair price for a piece of equipment, that many here in the forum have and prefer.

Like I said, I'm running for a new sound card, namely the SB X-Fi. But I'm a little bit confused, wether to use an internal or external Digital-to-Analog-Converter to make beautiful sound waves from easy-to-handle bits. Perhaps I should mention, that I also plan to buy an headphone amp I the not-so-far future (christmas isn't that far off...
biggrin.gif
). Since I never had an amp, the opportunity to play with some tubes sounds nice. After some reading the HeadRoom Desktop Millett Hybrid seems like a very nice piece of equipment (other suggestions welcome)...

...but unfortunately it doesn't have an DAC. As a result I though buying a SB X-Fi Elite Pro might solve the problem. According to tomshardware.com this card is equipped with much more audiphile DACs compared to the "cheap" other three editions. But I'm confused now: SB X-Fi Elite-Pro directly into Millett, oder SB X-Fi XtremeMusic + External DAC + Millett?! To state an actual question: Would the direct combination be very bad compared to an external DAC?

I would appreciate a quick answer - the X-Fi still hasn't shipped yet...

PS: I'm from Germany, please excuse my bad english. Everyone who finds a mistake may take it.
icon10.gif

PPS: Perhaps I should state the usage of the system: Aside from the usual computer usage (games, movies, MP3, DVD) I find myself working lately in the night for my studies with the headphone attached - so good music playing is the primary aim.

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 6
First of all, you need a headphone amp (or a very good receiver) to drive the headphones you mentioned.

All X-FIs have decent DACs built in. Of course they are not THE BEST, but they are still better than what is found in most high-end CD players. The best version of the X-fi has slightly better DACs, but I think it will be hard to notice a difference unless you are a true audiophile. For most people, discussing DACs is overkill and its a bit confusing.

If you are a beginner, dont get an external DAC yet. They tend to be very expensive, and it doesnt really guarantee a better music experience over what the X-fi offers most people.

Personally, I like the X-FI. I just got one for my computer. Im not an audiophile but I definitely notice a difference over my Soundstorm solution over digital and headphone out. If you think you need a the IN/OUTs and a remote, get the better X-fi model, otherwise the music extreme has digital CoAx out. You can use that for an external DAC at a later date if you need it.

My Audio technicas A900s are very happy with my X-fi and so am I
600smile.gif

Sep 19, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiktake
All X-FIs have decent DACs built in. Of course they are not THE BEST, but they are still better than what is found in most high-end CD players.

Haha.Better than most high-end CD players lol.

Sep 20, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 6
Depends how you define high-end CD player. Im certainly no expert but the most expensive X-fi's DACs are the same ones used in a CD player that costs $2,000 U.S.

Considering that most people would call any CD player over $200 as high end (or certainly better than consumer-fi), I think my statement was true....

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 6
I heard the Elite Pro has 4 emu1212m's DACs for 8-channel output.If thats the case,then I dont think $2000 cd players use that DAC,EMU was said to compete with sub-$1000 cd players only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back