NEWBIE In search of a good pair of IEM <~250
Apr 16, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 21
Drunken,

The truth is that you probably can't go wrong with any of the IEMs suggested in this thread. People will argue to the bitter end that the differences are HUGE and that you might regret not following their advice.

In my opinion the differences are frequently overstated. I don't own the Etys but I have been considering buying a set just to try them out. I'm very happy with my Shure E4Cs but that didn't stop me from buying a set of Shure E500s after finding a great deal on them (they should be here in a few days). Who knows, I may end up with a pair of UE10 Pros (though I am in no hurry to lay down $1,000 for IEMs at the moment).

Trying different cans is part of the fun of this hobby. I'm just getting started on IEMs, but I have several sets of full sized cans, including AKG 701s, Beyerdynamic DT 880s, and Sennheiser HD 650s. I do have a preference, but frankly if I could only have one pair of good phones I could he happy with any of those.

I labored over my first purchase for about a week, which was a heck of a lot longer than it should have been.

Buy the IEMs that interest you the most and try not to over-analyze it. All of the models recommended in this thread are pretty well regarded. It sounds to me like you've been doing your homework, now all that's left is for you to choose. You'll be stunned at how good IEMs can sound and it will make you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Buy and enjoy.

--Jerome

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #17 of 21
I agree with jsaliga, for your price range i think you'll be very satisfied with all these choices. Shure, Etymotic, Westone, Ultimate Ears, they're all quality.

Apr 16, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #18 of 21
Hmm.. You might also be interested in the FutureSonics Atrio M5. They're getting some pretty rave first impressions now (on second thought, so did the V-Moda Vibes.. and we all know how those turned out).

Apr 16, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #19 of 21
Dont forget about the new Shure SE line. Im new to IEMs but compared to some of my full size cans, the SE 210s for $150 are doing a pretty good job. Food for thought.

SE210=$150
SE350=$250

Dash

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #21 of 21
*another update*

well..
paypaled the money..
after a day.. the seller backed out and refund the money..
so.. yea.. so much for the e500..

here i m again..
looking for another pair of iem..
after going thru the whole dropping some money on my first pair and actually go thru w/ it..
i m pretty ready for anything but custom w/o as much struggle as i had before..
only the first time hurts. right?
don't want custom becuz.. well..
let's face it..
being my first pair of iem..
i kinda want to have some sort of escape route =p

so here i m again..
still researching..
still wondering..

thanks for all the help guys..
i m open again for recommendations =p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back