Newbie in need of some advice
Aug 25, 2008 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Labov

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I used to be very interested in hi-fi, but over the years I lost interest in the hobby. However the last year I've been listening more and more to music again. The only difference is that it is exclusively through my computer.

At present I am using my old Sennheiser 580 plugged straight into the integrated soundcard (some Realtek thing) on my computer.

What I would like to know is how to spend wisely to improve the sound quality. I am more or less totally green to what has happened over the last few years within hi-fi, and even more so when computers are added into the mix.

I listen to all kinds of music, but emphasis is on classical, jazz, blues and acoustic music in general.

The budget is roughly €320 / $470. This will have to cover any taxes and shipping as well. What would you advice me to spend it on?

Lastly, I have to say there is a ton of information on this site, and I've been enjoying reading through it the last few days.

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 5
Don't listen to the one above me since he is 100% joking. Leave it alone, haha.
biggrin.gif

Atm, I'm also looking at upgrading though a bit more high-end. I'm looking at the Keces DA-131 and Littledot MKIV SE. That's probably too much money for now, but I'll get them some day.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think you should check the Littledot MKII or MKIII out since they're suposedly very good, especially for the money. Budget DACs will be Beresford TC7510 or the Zero DAC/AMP combo.

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 5
I can attest to the MK III's quality and excellent sound. Also look at the Little Dot 1+, a hybrid headphone amp that is pretty cheap. I'm not sure if it is out yet, but maybe you should check it out at little-tube.com.

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 5
Well, I didn't want to post a new thread about being a newbie looking for a amp. I have a pair of K701s and been amping them with a iBasso D2-Boa or with the Cowon D2 ampless (which is still amazing that little thing can drive those cans...) and I was wondering what amp I should look into that can drive the K701s rather well.
Also I would prefer if there were extras like a DAC or optical input. I rather stay on the cheap side, but I'm willing to pay up to around 600-700

Users who are viewing this thread

Back